Eye Care Community
Putting off macular edema treatment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Putting off macular edema treatment?

Okay, I have edema of the macula and cataracts. The cataract specialist said that I can have the cataract removal surgery but the edema has to be taken care of first. I have searched around the internet and even talked to people who also have macular edema and they say they have has it for a year or two and their doctors have tols them that can and have had edema of the macula for more than a year and their vision has not changed or their macula thickness is not dangerous and doesn't need urgent care, they just regularly see their retinal specialist to monitor the problem and when it is time they intervene. Is this really possible? Can I really express to my doctor that I don't want treatment until it is absolutely necessary? Even though with my cataracts my vision is 20/200 in my better eye if I find out I am a diabetic, (I don't see how I can be - but apparently you can have type 2 diabetes and not know it) can I just tell them that first I want to get it under control first to see if that helps?
What I would suggest you do is be sure your retina ophthalmologist and cataract ophthalmologist are working together for your benefit. In most instances if the cataract is causing significant problems then the retina MD give an "OK" or clearance to removed the cataract.

Since even successful and uncomplicated catarct surgery can cause macular edema or make it get worse sometimes the retina surgeon opts to do some treatment beforehand.

JCH MD
Thank you. My appointment is in a few days, it's tough but I have to sit back and wait to see what the retina specialist says. The not knowing specifically whats going on, if they can fix it and how they will try to fix it is so daunting. Thank you for your time!
There are many good treatments available now that weren't available even 5 years ago so the chances of helping you are excellent.
JC MD