Eye Care Community
Puzzling scotoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Puzzling scotoma

In one of my eyes, I noticed a small scotoma on the opposite side of the natural blind spot. I had an eye examination (including fundus photography), but none of the tests showed any sign of retinal damage. Could someone explain this to me? Is the scotoma being caused by something other than eye damage, or is it more likely that damage exists but is just not showing up in the photographs?

Thank you.
You need a visual field test.  The most common scotoma nasally-opposite of the blind spot is glaucoma.  An OCT of the optic nerve is the appropriate test if the visual fields confirm the blind spot.

Dr. O.
I had a glaucoma test as well, but it detected nothing. Is the optic nerve still the most likely cause of the problem?

Thanks, Dr. O :)