Eye Care Community
Question for Dr. Hagan (or other physicians with eye floaters)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Question for Dr. Hagan (or other physicians with eye floaters)

Hello Dr.(s),

My name is Niko and I'm a 22 y/o pre-med student from Vancouver, Canada. About 7 months ago I became an eye floater spectator ('sufferer' doesn't fit me) and since then, reading literature on the condition has become my minor obsession. Even though I realize a vitrectomy is a current 'solution', I don't like the idea of possible permanent sequelae and I'm not very fond of the idea of possibly having cataract in my 30s. Especially since there aren't fully accommodating iols on the market yet, maybe if NuLens or FluidVision come out I'll reassess. My eyes are healthy, with 20/20, except for dots, cobwebs, and strands dancing around. So for now I'll live with them but lately they have become an increasing distraction while studying for my MCAT and going through the application process.

Dr. Hagan, I've read on one of your posts that you have floaters (a Weiss ring too I believe) but you've had them since you were younger that's why I'm addressing this question to you or any other of your colleagues you know have persistent vitreous opacities.

My questions to you Dr's are:
i) How did you cope with them through school and of course med school?

ii) What is your outlook on them? Or how can I have a more positive outlook other than 'it's simply a natural part of human degeneration' which leaves me feeling tolerably depressed.

iii) Do you know of anything that has worked for you or that you have tried that might delay their evolution? Antioxidants, etc.?

iv) I have ADHD and I'm currently on Adderall (adderrall), switched from Concerta because I believe they actually increased my floaters in the last couple months.
- Do you know of any studies that might show a correlation between stimulants and vitreous degeneration?
I'm slightly afraid that my floaters will get worst from Adderall (adderrall) but I've been on ADHD meds for the last year and never had floaters prior to last semester's very stressful, possibly dehydrated, and rather sleepless exam period.

Thanks for your patience and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards from Vancouver,

Niko
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
1. Go to my blog, I have posted two articles from major journals that document just how much floaters detract from the quality of life of many people.
2. Floaters like everything else are made much worse in people with high anxiety and depression. I am a type A goal driven individual. A long time ago I went on a small done of anti-anxiety medication which made a world of difference. Many people also benefit from cognative behavior therapy. You might want to consider an evaluation in your Dept of Psychiatry. There are also some excellent self study books on cognative behavior therapy.
3. There are no foods, supplements or medications that get rid of floaters.
4. I only see my floaters if I look for them and I've learned to "tune them out".
5. My honest belief is that most people that become fixated on floaters have high levels of anxiety, depression or other psychological problem that greatly exacerbates their symptoms. If you have a psychiatrist discuss this with him/her also ask about cognative behavior therapy.

Good luck.
JCH MD
Blank
hey doctor

l had toric lens implant on my right eye year ago my vision its not 20/20 what l wished for
l would like to know if lasik can be perform to improve my vision better
thank you
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Only an eye exam by an experienced refractive surgeon Eye MD ophthalmologist can tell.

JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank