RP and Cataract Surgery
On November 6th I had cataract surgery on my left eye and a monofocal lens was implanted.  I am 37 years old and have a condition called retinitis pigmentosa which is what has caused the early onset of cataracts. I have been experiencing blurred and double vision out of this eye since the surgery and I was under the impression I would need reading glasses after the surgery to see text only however I am unable see my hand clearly and even blurred vision when eating and looking down at my dinner plate, I am unable to read my blackberry and computer screen clearly even with a temporary set of reading glasses and reading overall has become obsolete for me.  Is this normal?  Due to the RP I have difficulty seeing at night however it seems as though this surgery has made is worse.  The only positive feedback I can give regarding cataract surgery at this point is I can see colours clearly.  I originally wanted a multifocal lens implant however my doctor advised against it due to my existing eye condition but did not answer why.  Is the multifocal lens an option for someone with retinitis pigmentosa? The doctor has asked when I would like to schedule the suregery for my right eye but I'm affraid to go ahead until I have the left eye fully recovered.  
You need to discuss this with your surgeon.  I agree with him that a multifocal would not be a good choice.

Dr. O.
Thank you Dr. O for your response however I have tried to discuss this with my surgeon and the response I received was give it time, you may need a prescription and I won't be able to provide a prescription you will need to see an ophthalmologist.  It would be helpful if I and get even a few questions answered so this is why I have posted my questions on this forum with the hope that someone can help me understand what is happening to me.  Can anyone answer any of the questions in my first post?  Why is a multifocal lense not a good choice for me?
Multifocal IOLs split light and it is not good for a compromised macular such as one seen with RP.   Multifocal IOLs split the light for distance and near.   Therefore a "weak macula" will not see as well as with a lens that focus 100% of the light on the macula.

Dr. O.
Definitely, WAIT to get an IOL in the other eye until the left eye heals.
Second, go see a retinal specialist, to see if it's the RP or other retinal problems that may be responsible for your current vision problems. (Also, seek a second opinion from another refractive/general ophthalmologist)
Third, since your vision is already compromised by the RP, a multifocal IOL is NOT a good option. Even those without any eye diseases face greater risks of complications and many have less than stellar results, just read the many posts here. A monofocal IOL is the best way to go. Any doctor who would implant a multifocal IOL in your eye(s) is just looking to take your money and would be doing you great harm.
Thank you both I now have a better understanding of why I was not a candidate for a multifocal lOL.  I have made an appointment to see my surgeon again and will look into a second opinion.  This has been very helpful.
I hope this turned out well for you.

Im 33, and suffer from RP as well. I am scheduled for surgery in March 2013.

Right now I'm set on a regular IOL with near correction, not distance. I'm fine with wearing glasses/contacts for distance but don't want to lose my clear vision up close. Granted "up close" is about 2 inches from my eye, but I def don't want to lose that.