Eye Care Community
Random vibrating, growing circles in front of my eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Every once in a while (usually spaced at least a few months apart) I'll suddenly notice a small blurry speck in front of my eyes. The speck will gradually grow, becoming a clear semi-circle with vibrating, rainbow-colored crystalline edges. Within about 20-30 minutes, the speck will grow from being in front of my eyes to going all the way to the edge of my vision, then disappearing. This is rather disconcerting, and I have to stop what I'm doing and just shut my eyes while it's happening because I can't see anything clearly enough to work. After it is gone my vision still feels abnormal and "fuzzy," especially in my peripheral vision, for a while, and my head will ache dully (but it's not super-painful or anything). Is this anything I need to be concerned about? Is there a name for this? Thank you for any information you can give me.

I am not a doctor. I am a community leader. Welcome to the community.

The doctor will answer you soon, or another forum member. I am not feel experienced in this area.

Another community member may answer, also.

Anna
it could be an occular migrane (migraine), just one guess....
It could be a migraine variant but it can also indicate serious disease of the eye, brain, heart or blood vessels.

You need to see an eye MD. Its important. Use the search feature on this page and search these terms: eye migraine, ophthalmic migraine, TIA,  transient ischemic attack.

If you smoke or on birth control pills or hormones its especially important as you can be at increased risk of having a stroke.

JCH III MD
I came across this article while searching for these exact symptoms.  I realize this is 4.5 years old, but in case anyone else comes across this page please look up "Ocular Migraine."  I was quite concerned when this happened to me 5 times in 2 months, and Googling the symptoms wasn't getting me anywhere.  After calling my eye doctor, she told me it sounded like an Ocular Migraine.  Sure enough, when I looked it up that was exactly what was happening to me.  I made an appointment to get checked out anyway, just in case, but at least knowing what it is helped to ease my fears.