Eye Care Expert Forum
Re: Serous Retinal Detachment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Re: Serous Retinal Detachment

Posted By Cheryl on May 17, 1999 at 17:36:49
First of all, let me give you some background.  I have microphthalmia of the left eye with a large coloboma of the optic nerve and choroid.  I had been born with an optic encephalocoele that was removed at age 2, followed by a cataract, finally removed at age 12(it calcified) and then a scleral buckle also age 12.  The right eye has a moderate coloboma of the optic nerve and choroid and I have scarring on the retina.
Almost 4 years ago, I started having visual disturbances suddenly.  The only way to describe these disturbances is to compare it to heat rising off of a hot road or car.  Straight lines weren't straight any longer, but there was no flashing.  I went to my ophthalmologist and he said it was the cataract doing this.  I have a tiny subcapsular opacity that has been there since I was 17, I'm 33 now.  He knew I had been under the care of a retina specialist since the age of 11, since my husband is in the army, I could no longer see her.  I asked to be sent to a retina specialist on several occasions and he said I "didn't need one". I saw him again 4 months later and he still said the same thing, cataract, yet never dilated my eye. By the time my husband managed to get me to an army retina specialist in DC, 7 months had gone by. Once seen, they saw the fluid accumulating and lifting the retina.  It was suspected that it was coming in through the optic pit.  They sent me back to Kentucky and told me to return in 3 months or sooner if it worsened.  I was back within two weeks because a large black dot started to appear.  This time, the detachment had started threatening my central vision. I was admitted and put on bedrest for five days, had focal argon laser done on the optic pit and then put back on bedrest for 5 more days.  We were then reassigned back to TX so I could be near retina specialists and family to help me.  The wavy vision in the lower right corner has never really gone away. I lost my peripheral vision after this as well.  It was said that I had hemmorhaging, a vein occlusion and of course scarring and that this was the reason for loss of peripheral vision. One of the many doctors I have seen said that he spoke to the doctors in DC and they said they had "compromised a vessel" My night vision has been severely diminished. I finally got to see my own retina specialist in January and she said the reason the peripheral vision was lost is because they "increased the atrophy I already had by using the laser."  I am going to assume that she's referring to my optic nerve.  I get flustered when talking about this and don't always ask the questions needed while seeing any of these doctors.  She told me that because she doesn't know how much fluid was in the eye at the time prior to DC, she can't tell me if I would have had to go through the laser.  She is the one that always told me never to let anyone do surgery on my right eye since it was the only sight I had and of course because of the severity of the congenital defects. At that point, however, I don't see that I had much of a choice.  My question, finally, is what are the different types of serous detachments and treatments?  I'm not sure what it was since the sight of the fluid was the optic pit, there were no breaks or holes in the retina. Also, how could any of this have affected my rod/cone function?  I cannot go into dark places any longer without someone to help me.
I apologize for the length of this, but I wanted to make sure I filled you in on all the details.  Your time is appreciated.

Posted By hfhs md ke on May 17, 1999 at 19:08:52
cheryl-
well u certainly have gone through alot!  let me take your questions one at a time:
1.  there are many causes of serous retinal detachments, they all have in common that they cause fluid to accumulate under the retina lifting it off it's base.  they can be due to tumours, inflammatory conditions, trauma, infection and of course optic pits, to name a few.  treatment depends on the cause- often the fluid needs to be drained, or the retina lasered to prevent further detachment. but sometimes, the detachment can be simply watched-  and the fluid may resolve, especially if the underlying condition, such as inflammation, is treated.  it really all depends.
2.any detachment of the retina deprives the rods/cones of their blood supply, and partially depending on the time length of the detachment the rods/cones may never function normally again, even after reattachment.
best of luck to you.

Follow Ups:

Serous Retinal Detachment Cheryl 5/18/1999
(1)

Re: Serous Retinal Detachment hfhs md ke 5/18/1999
(0)