Eye Care Expert Forum
Re: Uveitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Re: Uveitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Posted By cindy on June 16, 1999 at 12:44:32
I've hade anterior uveitis twice within the last year.  I also currently have severe joint stiffness in my right hand, mostly in the morning.  Test for Rheumatoid factor is normal.  Is uveitis related to rheumatoid arthritis?  I'm having a hard time believing that these two conditions are not related but so far there is no conclusive evidence that I have rheumatoid.  Thank you for any info you can provide.

Posted By hfhs md ke on June 16, 1999 at 13:00:20
recurrent uveitis is related to a systemic condition about 50% of the time.  having had 2 episodes of this puts u in the recurrent catergory.  however, specifically, rheumatoid arthritis tends not to cause anterior uveitis
( otherwise known as iritis ) but instead causes dry eyes and inflammation of the hard outer shell of the eye, called scleritis.  that being said, it is possible. but what i am getting at is i agree that the joint stiffness may not be just a coincidence, and i would encourage u to ask for a larger workup to look for other disorders, such as lupus or lyme disease, that could be related. there is also a condition called HLA B 27 positive iritis that may tie them together.  my suggestion is that u make sure that u r seeing an ophthalmologist, and if u are and are still not satisified, consider finding a Uveitis sub specialist. i wish u best of luck.
key words: uveitis, iritis, lupus, lyme disease, HLA B27

Posted By cindy on June 16, 1999 at 14:14:33
thanks for your prompt response.  i have been tested for the various disorders you've mentioned and they were all negative.  i am confident with the care i've received from both the optamologist and rhuematologitst.  In the meantime, i have to apply and "wait and see" attitude and watch for other symptoms.  however, it is very frustrating because i'm sure something has caused this, just what is it?  how important is it to get to the bottom of the cause?  would i be wise to wait for another occurrence before seeing a uveitis specialist, especially because i do not have any problems with my eyes right now?

Follow Ups:

Re: Uveitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis hfhs md ke 6/16/1999
(0)

Re: Uveitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis HFHS M.D.-JL 6/16/1999
(0)