Eye Care Community
Recovery from Vitrectomy Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Recovery from Vitrectomy Surgery

I am having a macular hole in my retina repaired on Jan. 4. Would appreciate comments from others who had this surgery.  Any tips on how to get thru the 2 weeks with your head down a little easier.  What equipment you rented.  How fast was your progress.  Thanks.  Janice
Use the search feature and archives there are many many discussions by people that have had this type of surgery.

JCH MD
Hi Janice,
I've had two surgeries after which I had to stay in the face-down position for a couple weeks.  I rented a chair which was similar to a massage chair, where you can rest your head and take the strain off your neck.  Try googling "vitrectomy chair" to see what I mean.  It came with a 2-sided mirror which allowed me to watch TV and talk to people.  I watched a lot of TV, but I also borrowed books on tape from the library.  It will help to have button-down shirts...um, let's see what else.....I did get some painkillers, as I found it difficult to keep the position without them.  Oh, get some straws.  Soft foods are easier...I talked on the phone a lot too (speakerphone).  Sleeping got easier after the first couple days of getting used to it (I also had a contraption to put my face in to sleep).  
I know it's going to be tough, but you'll get through it!
-
Thanks for your advice.  That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  I never thought of button down shirts... I am going to get my short hair cut even shorter.  I am worried about sleeping in the same position, but I'll do what I have to.   How did you handle showers and hair washings without getting your eye wet?  I know this is a silly thing to ask, but when my hair is clean I feel so much better, so being a woman, I think of these things. But then again, I may not when the time comes I suppose.  Thought I'd ask tho.  How come you had to have 2 surgeries?  How long ago and is your eye sight better now?  Thanks and happy holidays.  
-
I was very concerned about hair washing too!  I bought a hand-held shower head that you attach to the spout of the bathtub, and I bent over the tub and washed it that way. This put me in the required position!  But I found it was easier just to bend and stick my head under the spout itself than to try to hold the shower head.  I also took baths, not showers.

I had my first surgery in mid-August of 08, with a scleral buckle put in, and a gas bubble.  When the gas bubble was almost gone, the retina detached again, endo f Sept, so had another surgery, this time with silicon oil instead of the gas bubble

The oil was taken out in Jan 09, and since then my vision has improved quite a bit, though not perfect.  It's pretty warped in that eye, but thankfully the right eye compensates quite a lot.  I get Avastin injections to help to continue to improve that.  Best wishes ot you...keep me posted!