Recurrent corneal erosion information:
You have "recurrent corneal erosion syndrome". The condition is common and will not destroy your sight or cause serious loss of vision. It has been discussed in the past in the eye care forums. It usually starts after a scratched cornea that does not heal properly. In some instances it occurs due to a common disease of the outer layer of the cornea (basement membrane disorder). Use the search feature and type in "corneal erosions".

Here is part of a recent post on the problem:

Recurrent corneal erosions are the bane of the practice of ophthalmology for both the ophthalmologist (Eye MD) and the poor patient. I saw 2 of them in the office today. They can be very difficult and recalcitrant to treat. Not infrequently they are controlled with drops and ointments but reoccur if these medications are stopped. I'm sure you're well versed on the medical and preventive treatment of corneal erosions.

Treatment is to avoid anything that dries the eye. So keep it moist with artificial tears. At bedtime a lubricating drop with normal saline (Muro 128 ointment---available over the counter) is put in the eye.  Extreme care must be used in the morning on awakening as this is when the tissue usually tears. Avoid rubbing the eye. If the eye wants to stay shut from the ointment leave it shut, splash with warm water till it opens then put in an artificial tear or Muro 128 DROPS (available as 2% or 5% [which often stings] also available over the counter. If Muro 128 products are irritation try Refresh-PM ointment at bedtime and a good artificial tear on awakening and several times during the day (Systane, Opteve, Soothe, Refresh, Tears Naturale, etc).

Long plane and car trips are very stressing for corneal erosions. In the car, run the air conditioner or heater on the feet vents not into the face. Put artificial tears in the eye every couple of hours on a car trip and every hour on a plane trip.

You should go a minimum of 4 months without any pain from the erosion (usually during sleep or upon wakening) before trying to stop the ointment. Be aware that some people are never able to stop the medications and must use drops, ointments and precautions indefinitely (years and years).

The next step is often corneal stromal micro-punctures. This is an office procedure done with just eye drop anesthesia; a bandage contact lens is put in the eye for several days. You may return to normal physical activities immediately.  

If the problem persists then you may need to discuss these treatments with your ophthalmologist. He/she should be able to do the first method. The second he/she may or may not be able to do, sometimes referral to a cornea specialist is indicated.

1. There is a new method of treatment when all else fails. It involves taking oral tetracycline for a couple of weeks coupled with steroid eye drops. If your ophthalmologist is not familiar with the method he/she can do a literature search of the medical ophthalmology journals. The first time I read of it was in the journal "Ophthalmology". I have used this method on two patients that were "at their wits end and had tried everything else. In both cases it worked. I still have them use an ointment at bedtime such as Muro 128 or Genteal Gel but the severe pain has stopped.

2. The last technique would be to use the eximer laser to "resurface" the corneal epithelium and soft contact lens wear during the healing. This technique is most often used when the cornea has disease that keeps causing the erosions, the most common of these is corneal epithelial basement membrane disorder.

Keep trying and good luck.
Great article ..thankyou john :)
best of luck
Great article as usual.  My wife just had the displeasure of experiencing an episode of corneal erosion yesterday, but not the recurrent kind thankfully.  She has had it once before several years ago in the other eye, due to it being accidentally scratched by a dog's wagging tail, but in this case there was no obvious reason for it.  She simply woke up with definite eye pain, which is now being treated with a contact "Band-Aid" and antibiotic drops.
If she sleeps under fan, or has sleep apnea and wears CPAP or if she has eyelid surgery or facial palsy (Bell's) or just happens to sleep with her lids not completely closed that can cause the problem.   once the cornea is okay to go without bandage CTL she will need to use a lubricating ointment or gel at bedtime for 3-4 months without recurrence before going to be 'dry'.  I have many patients put lubricating gel or ointment in eyes at bedtime for many years.
We do sleep under a ceiling fan but have been doing so for the past 14 or so years without issue.  She goes back in for a follow-up exam this morning and I will report back the results.  I'm suspecting that her eyelid not having been completely closed in this case as being the most likely cause.
two thoughts. Dry eyes get more common as we get older. She will never be any younger. Dry eyes 10 X more common women and men.  If her lids didn't close one time it will happen again. My office is filled with people having this problem from sleeping under a fan. Two this morning alone.  
Refresh PM ointment for 2 weeks starting last night, Refresh Gel 3X/day after the current antibiotic (Besivance) course of treatment for 5 days which started on Monday is done, Retaine MGD drops after the 2-week course of ointment treatment is done.
I am certainly not going to try and treat from the internet. I think I've said what my experience has been. Best of luck.
Thanks Dr. Hagan.  I will report back here in the future regarding how it's going.
OK