Eye Care Community
Recurring Styes?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Recurring Styes?!

I need help! It started about 4 weeks ago, when i got my first stye on my right eye. I freaked! So my mom picked me up some treatment from a local pharmasist (Polysporin Stye Treatment). I don't know if it helped cure it or if it just cured on its own but it did go away. Then a week later i got another one! Now they keep recurring on both eyes! I got 3 in the past month. I am currently dealing with one at the moment (my 4th one). I do wear contacts (since April 2008) and makeup (since grade 6). I really need help. They are embarrassing and making me very self concious. My mom is going to book me an eye appointment on January 30th. So i will ask my eye doctor what is wrong. But, please help me! I'm worried, I don't want to have to stop wearing eye makeup or contact lenses. It is stressing, embarrassing, painful, and just annoying!!
Use the search feature and archives and read entries about recurrent styes and also blepharitis.

Get some Occusoft eyelid foam cleaner (OTC) or TheraTears SteriLid eyelid cleaner and use it regularily to clean the oil off you lids.

Discuss with your contact lens eyedoctor.

JCH MD
Ok.
I will get some eyelid cleanser, and also throw away old makeup, and clean recent makeup. I am still dealing with a stye right now. I have school tomorrow, and I pretty much can't wear my contact lenses or my makeup, which is really disappointing. But thanks for the advice.
Also,
My mom got a stye yesterday night. She used the treatment and it was gone the next morning, yet i still have mine, and have had it for 3 days. Why did hers cure so quickly. I am really frustrated.
Why me? Why now?

Two most difficult questions to answer in Medicine.

You are not your mom, she isn't you. It is what it is.

JCH MD
Ugh.. It is so frustrating though.
I most likely can't wear my contacts wiht this stye or while using the treatment nor wear makeup right? Sadly, I have school tomorrow.
-
Why did you put a dash?
(-)

by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS

John C Hagan III, MD, FACS  
Male
Kansas City - MO
Member since May 2007
Journal Entry:   "One of the greatest threats to your eyes ..." [Read]

, Jan 04, 2009 11:25PM
-
It means I've read the last post and don't feel a need to respond.

JCH MD
I have had recurring styes for about 2 months now. I have had 3 on my left eye and they are extremely itchy and painful. I do not wear any makeup and clean my face regularly. Is there anything I can do besides just wait for it to go away and come back again, or could there be something else going resulting in the recurring styes? I would like to state that I know you cannot give me a definite answer since this is online and not in person, but I will be grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.
Use the search feature and archives and read the many extended and informative posts on recurrent styes and the most common cause "blepharitis".

Regular use of medicated lid shampoo like TheraTears SteriLid or Occusoft Foam eyelid cleaner after a trial of azasite eye drops at bedtime for a couple of months can keep it under control. Blepharitis is a chronic problem and one speaks of "control" rather than cure.

JCH MD
When doing the azasite drops or even the medicated lid shampoo, Can I still wear my contact lenses during the day? or do I have to give up wearing contact lenses for a while? If so, what length of time is good to do this regimen?
You should direct those questions to the ophthalmologist or optometrists that fit and monitors your contacts.
JCH MD