Eye Care Expert Forum
Recurring red eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Recurring red eye
I have had a recurring red eye for over a year now. It happens about every 3 to 6 weeks. Lasts about 3 days and then goes away. It is very red & hot, and no discharge.

I have been to an opthamologist who has swabbed for disease and it's all clear. So not conjunctivitis. And a course of antibiotic eye drops does not help either, rather makes it worse.

I have been to Optomotrists, alllergy specialists and GP's and no one can figure out what is causing it.

And i have had slit lamp examinations so it is not episcleritis.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I would grealty appreciate any input!

Thanks!
I would consult another Eye MD specifically a cornea/external disease specialist find one at www.aao.org

When you go in to see him/her make arrangements so that you can come in as a "work in" patient when the eye flairs up next and the Eye MD can see the acute pathology.

JCH III MD