Eye Care Expert Forum
Red, Itchy, Flaky Eyelids

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Red, Itchy, Flaky Eyelids
I posted this in the dermatology forum and didn't get any replies so I thought maybe this was a better forum to ask about this.

Over the past few weeks I have developed itchy, red, burning, flaky, puffy eyelids.  I thought that maybe it was my make-up (which I don't often use) so I haven't put any on in several days.  However, the problem seems to be getting worse.  Worst of all is my upper eyelids have become wrinkly and droopy (which I imagine is due to the puffiness?).

I tried putting a thin coat of benedryl cream on them and it helped a tiny bit with the itching.  I also tried a thin coat of 1% cortisone - that only made it burn more.

Could this be Blepharitis?  I don't really have much discharge.  The worst area is the inner corner of my upper eyelids followed by the outer corners.

Thanks!
It could be blepharitis, it could be eczema, it could still be a contact allergy.  You should see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD).  Also, think carefully about what other products you might have changed such as face soap, shampoo, body soap, laundry detergent, moisturizers and toners.
Thanks for your reply.  I have an appointment with my Opthamologist on Thursday.

I have another question.  Once the problem is diagnosed and treated, will my upper eyelids return to normal?  I am in my mid-50's and I sure hate to think I will be left with saggy, wrinkly eyelids.