Eye Care Community
Red, irritated eye caused by contacts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Red, irritated eye caused by contacts

I wear the night and day contacts that you can leave in for several weeks to a month.  Yesterday, I took my contact out to give my eyes a rest and my left eye immediately got bloodshot red.  At first it was hard to open, was tearing a lot, and was very sensitive to light.  This sensation lasted pretty much the entire day up till I went to bed.  Now it is the next morning and my eye is still bloodshot and it is still sore when I blink and sensitive to light.  What should I do to relieve this problem?  I would go to the eye doctor, but they are closed on the weekend.  Are there any over the counter remedies that I can get from the pharmacist to make this problem better.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Leave the contacts out, call your contact fitter. Every contact lens wearer needs to be under the care of an ophthalmologist or optometrist.

JCH MD
If every you go back to wearing contacts again, I would not wear the day and night variety. I remove my contacts every night and do not wear them on Sundays. I have been doing this for many years and have never had any problems.