Eye Care Community
Red Eye after wearing contact

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

also...the first day i wear the contact...i felt like my eyes were dialected or something...plz reply

Red Eye after wearing contact

hey...i neva wear contact b4...on the first day i couldnt get it in...so i came back another day to try it on...but that day my right eye was already red. when i tried to put the contact in my right eye i found an eyelash in my eye...i took the eye lash out and then put the contact  in....but the next day my right eye was still red but my left eye was fine so i quit wearin my contactt...and itz been red for three day straight now...do u think it could be that im allergic to the contact or the solution or somethin? ( or could it be that i have trouble puttin the contact on and takin it out)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Let me repeat something I've said in the forum many times. In a person that wears contact lens that has problems with red eyes, recurrent "infection", blurred vision, eye pain, sensitivity to light then 90-95% of the time the cause is the contact lens.

Leave your contact lens out and see the eye doctor that fit you or an ophthalmologist for an evaluation for serious problems. Do not keep trying to put the contact lens in, wear your glasses. Leave the contact out in the other eye also.

Let me share with you and readers a case I saw in the office this week. The patient was a very nice young man with a wife and small child. He presented with complaints of pain, redness and blurred vision in one eye. He wears daily wear disposable contact lens. When I talked to him this are the shocking facts:  
1. He did not know how often the CTL were to be replaced, he thought "about two weeks".
2. He wears the contacts 6-8 weeks until they "don't feel good anymore" before replacing them.
3. Last week he was swimming in dirty creek water with his contact lens and wearing swim goggles over the contacts that got water under neithe them.
4. He was using one of the two contact lens solutions that have been recalled because of possible contamination issues:  B & L ReNU Contact Lens Solution with MoistureLoc and AMD Complete Moisture Plus Contact solution.

He has a rip-roaring infection of the cornea that could cause some permanent loss of vision and may need a corneal transplant.

All you contact lens wearers take heed. Bad stuff happens everyday to contact lens wearers that are careless in their wearing, replacement and cleaning habits. TAKE CARE OF YOUR CONTACT LENS PROPERLY, CLEAN THEM PROPERLY, REPLACE THEM PROMPTLY AS RECOMMENDED AND IF YOU EYE IS RED OR PAINFUL LEAVE THEM OUT AND SEE AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

JCH MD Ophthalmologist Eye MD
thank you for your comment. did that guy every got his transplant..i hope his eyes are betta now..this is scary...i will be extremely careful if i eva wear contact
In October of 2008 my eye doctor prescribed me a new brand of contacts, Pure Vision Toric lenses. I had previously worn Acuvue Advance for Astimatism, for several years with no problems. In December 2008, I got a cold and my eyes began to get really red. They even got worse after I applied eye drops. When I went to an opthamologist, he stated that the cold could have gotten into my eyes and prescribed eye drops that I took for two weeks. In the meantime, I could not wear my contacts. After the two weeks and getting cleared by the doctor to begin wearing my contacts again, my eyes were fine for about a week. Then because they got a little red, I began alternating my glasses and contacts. Since it was time for me to order new lenses, I decided to go back to the Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism. At first my eyes were clear and didn't get red, but unfortunately, they have been red for the past week. They don't hurt and they are not as red as they have been previously. Is it possible that I have lost my ability to wear contacts? What should I do?
About 20% of the patients that have LASIK in our clinic its because they have lost the ability to wear contacts. You can try a refit with another optom or Eye MD, you can wear glasses or you can see if you are a candidate for lasik

JCH MD