Eye Care Community
Red Eyes, Is it related to any STD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Red Eyes, Is it related to any STD?

Hello Doctor,

I am 34 years old male. From few days I am suffering from red eyes with no pus and no draining. Here is my case.

It started in the 1st week of Dec, 2009. It started like burning eyes. The left eye became red (like a blood shot) with little bit irritation as if some foreign particles are there in the eye. It went off in 1 day. On Dec 25th, 2009 it came back again with both the eyes becoming red like blood shots. I got worried and went to a urgent care and met a general physician, he prescribed me Gentak eye ointment and I used it for 2 days and the eyes got well. Now, again it started from few days the eyes becoming red and feels irritating, and this time I went to a ophthalmologist yesterday and he prescribed TOBRADEX and he said vision and everything is good and it seems to be an infection (conjunctivitis). But I don't have any pus or water coming out of my eye, no blurred vision, and my vision is good.

My worry is I had a protected sex with a CSW on 3rd week of Nov, 2009. Is my eye symptoms related to any STD infections. I am very much worried Doctor. Please help me. I don't worry if my eyes are red until I have a good vision, my worry is, If this is caused by any STD. Till now, I have no other symptoms of STDs to write here.

Thank you,
Worried Guy.
This is very unlikely to be a STD in the eye and much more likely to be a viral eye infection which explains why the response to antibiotics has not been good

JCHMD
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your prompt reply. After using TOBRADEX eye onitment, I am feeling better. the redness of eyes is slowing fading away. If you don't mind, I have a question Doctor. Is this bloodshot eyes any way related with HIV ARS symptom? As I am worried about the encounter which was in 3rd week of Nov, 2009, though I had a protected sex (used condom).

Thank you very much.
Worried Guy.
Hello Doctor,

Can you please kindly answer to my question? I am so worried and scared to death.

Thank you very much.
Worried Guy.
Unless you had unprotected oral sex on your sexual consort you are not at all likely to have a problem.

Even if you did she might not be infected or if infected secretions need not have gotten in your eye.

JCH MD
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for answering. It eases my mind.

I haven't did any oral on her. She did oral on me by having condom on. Yeah I understood it might not be any STD, as I don't have any other symptoms at my genitals. I am concerned about the HIV ARS. Any way, Thanks for answering to my questions. If you think, the red eyes in any way related to ARS, please let me know your comments on that.

Thank you very much.
Worried Guy.
relax some
JCH MD
Thank you very much Doctor. I will update you after few days regarding my eyes. Hope everything will good with GOD grace.