Eye Care Expert Forum
Red Ring Around Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Red Ring Around Eye

So I notcied my eye getting itchy and red. Of course I rubbed it and probably shouldnt. The next thing I see there is a red ring going around the colored part of my eye. I dont wear contacts but I do wear glasses. My eye was hurting which I believe caused me to have headaches. I went to the clinic and they gave me Tobramycin solution. I put  the drops in an and the headaches and itching ease up dramatically. But the redness is still there and so is the ring. What could be going on with my eye?
Basically, stop rubbing the eye. The red ring is either blood due to subconjuctival hemorrage or inflammation of the eye or both. Withouit knowing your findings exactly, it is impossible to advise your further other than to tell you that you have some new worsening signs and should have it looked at.  Hopefully, it is just a little inflammation or blood that will quickly improve.  It is your responsibility to seek follow up care with your own personal physician that is treating you for this condition.  My advise is to see an ophthalmologist if you are not already.

MJK MD
Also there seems to be a little sensitivity to light going on now.