Eye Care Expert Forum
Red around the iris of my eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Red around the iris of my eye

It seems that when I wear contact lenses the white of my eye turns red where ever the lenses are placed around the iris.
I havent worn them for a few days,  most of the red has gone away but there is still i fine red lined around the iris, I am getting headaches behind my eye now and am not sure what to do or what it is since I don't have insurancce that covers eye doctors, is this something to worry about, or will it just go away?
Your problem is your contact lens either they no longer fit, they are damaged, you are wearing them improperly or you are allergic to solutions used on the contact lens. Stop wearing them before you damage your eyes.

You pay for your automobile, your housing, your clothes and your food. Why would it seem strange to pay for an eye examination with an opthalmologist? An exam is going to cost less than a pair of high end Nike shoes.

If you have health insurance it will often cover a visit to an eye MD physician (which is very different than popping in the mall one hour place to be fit with contaacts) if there is a medical problem.

Either way-you pay or your health insurance pay get in to see the ophthalmologist and don't wear the contacts until you do. I have many unhappy stories of people that continued to wear contacts that made their eyes read and/or painful.

JCH III MD
It's only happening with one eye (right) and I have changed my contacts 3 times since I figured there was something wrong.

I'll definatly take my lazy bum to the eye doctor, I'm just trying to get an idea of how serious the problem is before I do :D
Changing your contacts and having the problem continue only eliminates a damaged contact lens. The other reasons need to be investigated. The point that I'm making is that I've seen permanent damage by people that continue to wear contacts that hurt, blur the vision or make the eye red.

I agree, get the bum moving.

JCH III MD
A related discussion, red eye was started.