Eye Care Expert Forum
Red droopy eyelids, bloodshot

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Red droopy eyelids, bloodshot

I was diagnosed with acute uveitis in my right eye several years ago.  After a course of steroid drops (and a cataract surgery) the uveitis has been quiet for 3 or so years.  The area around my right eye is permanently red and bruised looking.  I should mention, the eye also has glaucoma and it is treated with travatan, combigan and azopt.  Now my left eye has started to look the same.  The left eye is not medicate din anyw ay and my opthalmologist says there is no inflammation present and the pressure is normal.  The eyelid and surrounding skin are both very red and my eyelid feels heavy.  The eye looks slightly bloodshot as well.
I also have type 1 diabetes and have had both eyes checked for retinopathy, which was not present.

Any ideas?
Clarky99   The most important piece of information is that your ophthalmologist (EyeMD) has not found uveitis (inflammation of the uveal layer of the eye [iris, ciliary body, choroid] in your left eye. That being the case, the most common condition that would cause your symptoms is blepharitis (sometimes called by people 'granulated eyelids'). This is a build up of oil and debris along the edge of the eyelids. Skin bacteria often grow in this debris and cause the eye to look bloodshot.  It usually requires warm compresses, lid scrubs with a non-prescription eyelid cleaner or use of dilute baby shampoo for the same purpose. If severe, some times an antibiotic ointment is used at bedtime for several weeks to get the condition under control. For severe cases oral antibiotics or steroid containing eyedrops or ointments are cautiously used. The condition is chronic and requires ongoing eyelid hygeine.

There are several other conditions that would need to be excluded. I believe your best advise would be to make an extra appointment with your ophthalmologist to discuss your new concerns about the left eye and let him/her examine you.

JCH MD