Eye Care Community
Red itchy swollen eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Red itchy swollen eyes

I've been reading everyone's comments and it seems we have similar eye problems.  Red swollen itchy sometimes scaly eyes.  I have never had any problems and developed this eye problem a year and a half ago.  My doctors have there ideas of what it is but....they don't seem to suffer from my problem and I really don't think putting cortizone cream on my eyelids is a great idea.  I was also on a diet of drinking water and not eating any sugar, salt , flour, wheat, soy, tomatoes, potatoes, pork...etc.  I'm small to begin with and taking away almost all my food didn't seem to help either but desperate times call for desperate measures.  Funny thing last october I was on vacation for 3 weeks with my husband and it completely cleared within a few days.  When I returned it was back to the same routine of swollen itchy eyes that swell up and down on a weekly basis.  This year we went away for 3 and a half weeks and same thing it completely cleared up in 3 days but as soon as we returned it was back within 2 days.
It is obviously something in our house I am reacting to.  Has anyone else come to this conclusion and what have they done to help with the problem?
We are thinking of putting an air exchanging unit in our home as well as an air purifier.  
The only concern I have with this route is....I have lived here for 6 years and this problem has developed within the last year and a half.  Is it possible to develop a reaction after living in a home for that long?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Paula
see an ophthalologist that specializes in external eye disease and cornea problems; also an allergist.

JCH MD

JCH MD
Hi John,
Thanks for responding.  I have been to my eye doctor, naturopath, dermatoligist, and allergist.  The eye doctor said everything was okay.  Naturopath put me on a diet dermatoligist wanted me to use cream that would thin out my eyelids and yes I have allergies. I truly believe it is allergies.  I have purchased an air purifier for our home and just started using it. I have also been cleaning my eyes with baking powder and rubbing coconut oil on them.  I got this advice from someone else on this web site.  It seems to be helping with the flaring.  I have lived in this home for 5 years and never had a problem.  Can you develop allergies over night to something you were never allergic to? I will keep you posted on what happens after a few weeks use with the air purifier.
Thanks again,
Paula