Eye Care Expert Forum
Reddish Purple Bump in the Corner of my Left Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I noticed it a few days ago. I felt like I had a really painful eyelash in my eye for like a half an hour despite flushing it with water and eye drops. When I was looking in the mirror, I noticed this red-purple bump. The itchy feeling of something stuck in my eye comes and goes throughout the day. It has gotten larger and more noticeable since I first spotted it; almost like a ball bearing stuck under the surface of the skin.  It isn't particularly painful, but I am aware of it constantly. I am going to attach a link to a picture of it because a picture speaks a thousand words. Any idea what is going on or if I should be concerned? I don't have health insurance right now, so I don't want to go to the doctor if it isn't a big deal.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q585/meghansolo85/DSC03250_zpsc44243d1.jpg

This looks like an embedded foreign body.  I would recommend an exam with an ophthalmologist.