Eye Care Expert Forum
Redness and pain on inner corner of one eye
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Redness and pain on inner corner of one eye

I'm frustrated - I've seen three board certified opthalmologists in the last two years and come away with a different diagnosis from all of them: scleritus, episcleritus and now, lastly, dry eye syndrome.  My symptoms: The blood vessels on the inner corner of my left eye (white part only) become blood red,inflamed and painful, sometimes involving dull pain on one entire side of my head.  Lubricant drops like systane and genteal help temporarily.  I'm also on omega-3/flaxseed vitamins and have cut way down on caffeine and alcohol, as well as halving my Requip for restless legs (now on .25mg).   The bouts of redness and pain come in cyle of about a week at a time, then go away for a few weeks, but its happening more frequently now. My eye does not itch or feel "gritty" and there is no discharge or swelling, only redness and pain.  Reading and computer work makes it worse.  My eye is not particularly photosensative, but I've been careful about wearing sunglasses and a hat. Steroid and anti-inflammitory drops don't seem to help much.  What in the world could this be? Could it be herpes?  I do get cold sores on my mouth.  As I said though, its only the white of the eye, from the iris to the corner.