Eye Care Community
Reflection in eye of friend who had cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

A friend recently had cataract surgery. I notice a different reflection in her eye than before. She had boht eyes done weeks apart. Now that the second eye has been done I see this different reflection in the second eye also. What is it? Thanks
Reflections from the intra-ocular lens.

JCH MD
Sounds interesting. Rather than red-eye in photos I used to have white-eye (bits missing in the back of my eye). Now I've had one eye done, I get halos in that eye which apparently is reflections off the edge of the new lens. Could you expand on what type of relfection you see? Sounds like a good party trick! (Hey, you have to look on the bright side!).
My acrylic AcrySof IQs do have a noticeable reflection (youthful glow?) in certain lighting conditions.  If this is something that you want to avoid, I've read that the new acrylic one-piece Tecnis monofocal does not have this type of reflection.  Neither do silicone IOLs.
-
I've had the same problem, and I've noticed that almost every doctor says "it's no big deal," "you're being too sensitive," or some other patronizing remark like "now you have a twinkle in your eye." When you look in the mirror and see what appear to be white holes in your eye, you do feel self-conscious, and even worse when people make comments like, "ooh evil eye." I completely understand why Gail says she avoids looking people in the eye. One doctor gave me pilocarpine drops to make my pupil contract. DO NOT TRY THIS! I ended up with a retinal detachment in that eye and more problems! Gail doesn't need counseling. She and I, and others who are disturbed by this kind of surprise after- surgery result, need a practical solution and honest responses from health care providers, not judgmental, self-protecting remarks. Does anyone make a tinted contact lens that cuts this unnatural looking reflection without compromising vision? I've tried various colored contacts and they were no help at all.
Have you found a solution to the shine, I am truley bothter by having to address it eveyday.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nevk2mdkl21e3nz/catarcts.jpg

My right eye (your left) has a synthetic lens due to cataracts surgery; my left does not.  Notice the reflection difference.
=
I am intensely upset that my doctor did not reveal that there would be a reflection and offer me an option to get the lenses you mentioned that DO NOT HAVE THAT BIG PROBLEM.  Yes, to me it is a BIG deal and I HATE that about my eyes now and am EXTREMELY self conscious about it!  I think it is unforgivable that I was not alerted to the fact that I would have Dog Eyes that glow in the dark and that people would think I have might shiny glass in my eyes!  I am truly angry about it.
You said it sister!  SO AM I.  It is a doggone disgrace that the doctor didn't tell us we would have this issue and give us optional lenses (without that reflection problem) from which to choose.  
Yes I do am VERY VERY MUCH disturbed by this reflection in my eyes (so much so that I would NEVER have had the surgery done with those lenses since there are others that do not have that "twinkle") -- and especially since MY DOCTOR NEVER INFORMED ME that it would happen.  There oughta be a law!  
What happened to the link?  Mine would not show.  I really want to see it and show to my eye doctors who CLAIM they don't know why it's a big deal to me and they say they never notice it when they are looking at me, almost indicating that it's all in my head.  Hah!  This glare is UGLY and ABNORMAL looking and I believe it was an AWFUL side effect and I am APPALLED I was never informed that they have OPTIONAL lenses I could have gotten that had no glare.  This is BAD.
I have never heard that certain IOLs would NOT cause a difference in reflection. I think it may be more dependent on the eyes of the person Some people do not notice anything. Some people are very bothered. I you need cataract surgery you have better things to worry about, like not being blind-- than whether or not your eyes will reflect light in a way that may be visible to others. I have dual optic IOL's and actually have multiple reflections of each image visible in my pupils. The people that notice it usually think its cool and I personally kind of like it. I am sorry that the reflections bother you, but on the bright side,  you will no longer have red eyes in photo's...
The most important concern is vision improvement.  Did your vision improve?  If the answer is yes, be grateful for modern science and a good medical outcome.  Many of us in this community have serious complications and less than ideal outcomes.  A lens reflection is not unusual and not a big deal.  Stop looking in the mirror and obsessing about what you think you look like.  I promise you, most people would not even notice it unless you bring it to their attention. Take a walk and marvel at the gift of sight!  
Or..just maybe....your eyes ALWAYS showed that reflection and you didn't notice it because of the vision reduction caused by your cataracts.
What nonsense.
Agree.  I have had patients that like the reflection and call it their "twinkle".  Reflections off the cornea occur in everyone that has a normal shaped cornea and tear film.

JCH MD