Eye Care Community
Reflection in eye of friend who had cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

A friend recently had cataract surgery. I notice a different reflection in her eye than before. She had boht eyes done weeks apart. Now that the second eye has been done I see this different reflection in the second eye also. What is it? Thanks
Reflections from the intra-ocular lens.

JCH MD
Sounds interesting. Rather than red-eye in photos I used to have white-eye (bits missing in the back of my eye). Now I've had one eye done, I get halos in that eye which apparently is reflections off the edge of the new lens. Could you expand on what type of relfection you see? Sounds like a good party trick! (Hey, you have to look on the bright side!).
My acrylic AcrySof IQs do have a noticeable reflection (youthful glow?) in certain lighting conditions.  If this is something that you want to avoid, I've read that the new acrylic one-piece Tecnis monofocal does not have this type of reflection.  Neither do silicone IOLs.
-
I've had the same problem, and I've noticed that almost every doctor says "it's no big deal," "you're being too sensitive," or some other patronizing remark like "now you have a twinkle in your eye." When you look in the mirror and see what appear to be white holes in your eye, you do feel self-conscious, and even worse when people make comments like, "ooh evil eye." I completely understand why Gail says she avoids looking people in the eye. One doctor gave me pilocarpine drops to make my pupil contract. DO NOT TRY THIS! I ended up with a retinal detachment in that eye and more problems! Gail doesn't need counseling. She and I, and others who are disturbed by this kind of surprise after- surgery result, need a practical solution and honest responses from health care providers, not judgmental, self-protecting remarks. Does anyone make a tinted contact lens that cuts this unnatural looking reflection without compromising vision? I've tried various colored contacts and they were no help at all.
Have you found a solution to the shine, I am truley bothter by having to address it eveyday.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nevk2mdkl21e3nz/catarcts.jpg

My right eye (your left) has a synthetic lens due to cataracts surgery; my left does not.  Notice the reflection difference.
=