Reflective Amblyobia - Contact causing blurred vision in 20/20 Left eye
Hello, I have reflective amblyobia. For the first time in 20 years I went back to the optometrist. My left eye is 20/20 and the right eye is 20/200 correctable to 20/30. They gave me a +5.5 contact for my right eye. Here is my problem. Without the contact in, my overall vision to me is a perfect 20/20 even though my right eye is 20/200. When I put the contact in, my overall vision goes blurry like my brain is overcompensating to use my corrected right eye. Cover the right eye and vision focuses in clearly. It is like the left eye is not envolved. When I take the contact out, it takes like 2 minutes for my vision to refocus. One suggestion was to use a lesser powered contact. Any suggestions would help? Thanks, Roy

your problem is called "refractive amblyopia". You are lucky the amblyopic eye sees that well as most don't.

Glasses won't work and contact isn't helping much either.

I would suggest you see an eye MD ophthalmologist that does refractive surgery. Your best bet is likely to be hyperopic lasik or intraocular contact lens or refractive lens exchange all of which are surgical procedures.

JCH MD
Thanks, Why is my vision scrambled when I have the contact in and 20/20 without it. I am afraid of surgery because I don't want to the results to be permanent if they are going to be the same as what I am seeing with the contact in. Thanks again
your vision is 20/20 because you are using your "good" eye to read the chart and not the "bad" lazy eye.

Surgical results would not be like the contact lens.

JCH MD
I would like to discuss with you more in detail about refractive amblyobia. I seen a retina specialist yesterday and this medical term surfaced regarding my right eye. The specialist stated the damaged has already been done and basically, I have to live with it because it should have been corrected during my childhood years like a toddler needing orthopedic shoes/braces to correct crooked feet/leg. I would really appreciated additional opinions so that I can take another approach to correcting this problem if its still correctable at this point in my life. I'm 46yrs young, non-smoker/drinker, exercise regulary, with a fairly good diet.
The term is "refractive amblyopia" and if that diagnosis is correct at 46 it is not possible to treat under most circumstances. It means that one eye has been out of focus due to being more myopic, astigmatic or hyperopic than the other eye.

You could see a Eye MD ophthalmologist that specializes in cornea/Refractive surgery.  Sometimes a refractive procedure like LASIK can make the vision better but not normal.

What is important is to protect your good eye from injury and disease. Any child of yours or a blood related niece or nephew has a 20% chance of developing the condition. They should be examined by an Eye MD about age 2 to 2 1/2 years of age. After age 5-6 refractive amblyopia is often not treatable and even when detected at a young age it is usual for the amblyopic eye not to see as well as the good eye (but treatment usually makes the amblopic eye better than if no Rx at all)

JCH M:D