Eye Care Expert Forum
Refractive Lens Exchange

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Refractive Lens Exchange

I am considering RLE. This is more for convenience only, I need reading glasses only, my distance vision is OK. I am 62 years old. I am still very active and engage in single track mountain biking, scuba diving and snowboarding.
I have read some slightly disturbing reports on some of the forums, one being that glasses are still required in subdued light and that contrast is reduced. Also there would appear to a number of reports of people experiencing halos or similar whilst driving at night. Are these reports a singular minority and more importantly can it be corrected.
The lens that would be used in my case are either Oculents M-plus or Technis multifocal lens.
I understand that the procedure is the same as for cataracts, so my thoughts are that I may have to have it done in the long term, so why not have it done now and have the benefits now.
I would appreciate any advice you have.

Thank you.

Keith.
Refractive lens exchange involves removing the clear (not yet cataractous) natural lens, and implanting an intraocular lens implant.  Usually the implant is a multifocal lens.  There is an inherent decrease in contrast sensitivity with these implants, such as decreased vision in fog or at dusk.  The glare/halos do diminish with time, but there is no way to predict before surgery who will be bothered by these and who will adapt easily.  If the symptoms do not improve, a lens exchange can be done, which is another surgery to remove the multifocal implant and replace it with a monofocal lens.  Tecnis multifocal seems to have fewer problems than the ReSTOR.
I discourage you from doing this.  I had cataract surgery six months ago because I had severe glare at night.  Aside from that,I was fine.    I am young (56), healthy, and had a very experienced surgeon.  I had lots of post surgical complications.  In hindsight,I wish I could turn back the hands of time.  While most people have no problems, somebody falls into that 2 percent.  Furthermore, even successful surgery is not magic -- vision is different from your original equipment.  From my perspective, convenience is not enough of a reason the have this surgery.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dear CBCT.
Are you doing better now? I had cataract surgery almost 7 weeks ago, not so happy with the results. I am considering doing a piggy back lens or an exchange. I also had a vitrectomy prior to the cataract surgery which makes it more difficult. I am wearing +.75 prescription glasses but my operated eye is not cooperating with the right. It is like looking down a long hallway. The surgery was to put me at plano but overshot it to +1.5 but has come down to +.75, I have blurriness in the far left side of my eye also and tried contacts but it hasn't helped reduce that issue.

My Dr. says I have three options if I choose to go forward and that would be a piggyback lens, replace the lens or lasik surgery. Does Piggyback lens cause glaucoma? I have light issues also, glare and sensivity to light which has gotten worse in the operated eye. I also have issue of light and glare in right eye.

thanks for anyone who answers these questions.