Eye Care Expert Forum
Relation of Melatonin and dry, irratated eyes?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

For 1.5 years i've had dry, red, sore eyes that are made far worse by focusing on things such as reading. I've been treated for many things and have found no help.

Before this I had suffered (and still do) from insomnia/chronic fatigue. For around a year or more I had been taking melatonin every night, I had then took it less and less, and eventually not atall. Melatonin had stopped my insomnia problems, which returned when i stopped using it, but the doctor wouldn't give it to me any longer.

I've been hearing melatonin could link to my eye problems?, i've tried to research but am unsure if melatonin could influence my eyes negativly or positivly, could the removal of melatonin of caused my dry eye?, maybe I am melatonin deficient? or could the use of melatonin of caused the eye problems?

Thank you very much.
Melatonin has not been associated with eye problems including dry eye.

JCH MD
A related discussion, Hormonal Imbalance/Dry Eyes was started.