Eye Care Expert Forum
Removal of Mole on Eyelid

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Removal of Mole on Eyelid

I have had a mole about 2 cm in length on my upper right eyelid since birth. I recently saw an opthamologist about getting it removed. He recommended the surgery to prevent any future complications due to the location of the mole. However, he recommended against a graft. He explained about the uniqueness of the skin on the eyelid and how a graft (such as from behind the ear) would appear unnatural, since the skin is thicker. He also explained that after the surgery my right eye may appear "bigger" due to the removed skin.

I am having trouble deciding whether to go through with the surgery.  I am afraid my right eyelid will be visibly disfigured. What should I expect cosmetically after the surgery if I were to have it performed? Would it be clearly distinguishable?
Dear ItsTom,

I would recommend that you seek the opinion of an oculoplastic surgeon.  You should speak with an eyeMD about the benefits and risks of such a procedure and what you can expect. A diagnosis may be needed.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California