Removal of temporary punctal plug
After I got the Dr prescription, contacted Allergan and many online pharmacy, I just found that Restasis is still not official for sale (it is approved) in Canada till end of Oct. If someone can tell me some online drug stores can ship it to Canada, that will helpful.
Now, I need to try the option of punctal plug to treat my moderate to severe dry eye. I plan to try a temporary one first. I know that some plug is without a cap resting on the eyelid surface as this will not introduce and discomfort. The question is how can it be removed if necessary.

Please bear with my innocent about the punctal plug, the clinic reception told me that the temporary plug will be dissolved after a few months. Is it harmful to have some silicon be dissolved in the tear duct ?

There are two types of plugs: once made of a material that disolves over several weeks. The other is permanent and stays in unless it falls out. I find no use at all for the disolving plugs and use only permanet ones.

I cannot advise you how to obtain restasis on the internet.

JCH MD
Dr John C Hagan,
Thanks for you info first.
You mentioned dissolving plus is not useful. Is it because it dissolve in a few weeks which is not long enough to see the benefit ?

If using permanent one, should I choose the one without cap as it seems more comfort. The question is how to remove it ?

First question: the success of the permanent plus does not in my experience relate to success/failure of disolving plug.
Question 2: I do not recommend plugs with caps or ones that are located deep in the tear duct. Too hard to remove and often cause problems. I use only easy to remove. They come in small medicum and large and properly sized cap not a problem.

I use to use plugs first, now I use restasis first.

JCH MD
I plan to use the temporary plug for only 2 to 3 months as I still plan to switch to restasis when it is available in Canada I guess 2 more months. I heard that Restasis will not work when there is a plug. Is it true ?

No restasis works with a plug.

What usually would be done is a "permanet" plug that won't disolve but that is easy to remove because it has a cap would be put in and left till you switch to restasis. Collagen and dissolving plugs usually just last several weeks at most.

JHCMD