Eye Care Expert Forum
Replace Rezoom Lens?
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Replace Rezoom Lens?

In 2007, I had cataract surgery.  The doctor put a Restor lens in my left eye and a Rezoom in the left.  Neither was really successful as multi-focal lenses: I had a bit of close-up vision in bright light with the Restor lens.
From the beginning, images were larger through the Restor lens than through the Rezoom.  This produced odd effects, but I lived with it rather unhappily.  However in the last few years, the right eye has gotten gradually worse.  Now what I see from this eye is smeared with no details at any distance.
I know that Rezoom lenses have been especially troublesome.  Is my declining vision in the right eye due to this lens?  Or could it be a PCO (posterior capsule opacification) that developed quite a long time after the surgery?  Should I dare have the Rezoom lens explanted almost six years after it was put in?  If so, should I replace it with a Restor lens? with a mono-focal lens? with a Crystalens?  I know having the PCO possibility checked out is the first thing to do.
Any advice will be appreciated.
1731421_tn?1358826971
You definitely need an exam as you stated. As 3 questions: PCO, remaining ammetropia (residual prescription need) and Dry Eye? All 3 of these are treatable cause of the multifocal not working. These problems in a monofocal lens are much more tolerable than a Multifocal lens. If none of the 3 are the cause, then you can have an IOL exchange. Though tricky, it can be done in the hands of an experienced surgeon. IOL choice at that point is up to you. I would probably not recommend a Crystalens unless your "bag" is perfect. The other choices would be fine. The monofocal lens will give you the best distance vision, while the multifocal will give you the best range of vision. Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
3 Comments
Blank
Thanks a lot.  Dry Eye might be part of it.  The eye now tears up badly several times a day, which I understand can be a result of Dry Eye.
Blank
1731421_tn?1358826971
Yes, that's correct. Ask those 3 questions.
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, Medical Doctor
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center