Eye Care Community
Restore IOL reading distance unclear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Restore IOL reading distance unclear

I have very bad cataracts and had a Restore IOL put in my first eye five days ago.  Distance vision came back in a few days to 20/25.  Intermediate vision isn't too bad.  Reading distance is only clear at one particular distance, approximately 12 inches.  Any other distance is blurry.  From what I've read about Restore, I expected the near distance to be very clear.  I realize I'm only five days out from surgery, but my distance vision came back so fast, I'm surprised about the reading distance.  Has anyone experienced excellent distance, good intermediate and poor reading with Restore?  I'm scheduled to have the Restore put in my other eye in about 10 days.  Right now I can read and use the computer because my eye that hasn't had the surgery is helping.  I'm afraid if I have the same result with my second eye, I won't be able to see anything at a close distance.  Thanks very much for any input.
Tags: Restore, iol
Read the archives on the Restor lens. I have poor reading and distance vision. Do read the archives before you have your 2nd surgery. I've having my Restor IOL removed.
Try drug store reading glasses.
BJF,
All multifocal implants make compromises to achieve both distance and near vision. None of them on the market today(or in development in my opinion) will equal the vision with a normal human lens. All the diffractive implants like Restore have 2 focal points in the eye--a distance focus and a near focus. Rezoom favors an intermediate distance--closer to arms length--but it gives less magnification up close. Restore favors the close vision and to achieve good reading vision for most people it has a higher near power than Rezoom. This gives good magnification and focus up close but it also means that the focal point is closer--as close as 13 to 14 inches--leaving arms length vision fuzzy. There is a lot of advice in the medical community that these lenses--though not perfect--require a) that the second eye be done to get "summation" of the two eyes, and b) that there is neuroadaptation by the eye and brain to the new type of vision which can take 6 to 12 months.

Make sure you bring your concerns to your surgeon before the 2nd eye because he/she may or may not plan the 2nd eye slightly differently.
Thank you very much for your responses.  I've read so much in the archives about people being unhappy with Restore -- unfortunately, after I had mind done -- that I was getting worried.  Since my distance is almost perfect, my intermediate not bad at all, and the reading seems to be improving slowly, I'm thinking, as you mentioned, having the second eye done will hopefully achieve the "summation" you speak of.  

In the meantime, I'm trying out drugstore readers, which seem to be helping with the reading.  I'm hoping to achieve the result of someone else who wrote on the forum that after a while, they didn't need the readers anymore.  If that doesn't happen, I can live with it, because I am so pleased with being able to see clearly for distance and intermediate.  

Thanks again for your encouragement.
I have a friend with ReStor in both eyes who has to use reading glasses too, she feels the same as you that the improvement in her distance and intermediate vision was very satisfactory, so it is not an uncommon outcome. Unlike many of the patients on this board she did not have problems with halos, night vision, or other issues.
I am having a similar problem-  surgery Sept 2009, resulted in good distance after restor implant but poor reading., but, also poor intermediate. These haven'[t improved in 2 months.  Print looks like bar codes and squiggles, not like letters. (I can't read at all without using the over the counter glasses but read very well before surgery, with mild Rx or not using  glasses at all for reading). Over the counter reading glasses  of course only work for the eye operated on, as the other eye still has the cataract, with a very different Rx.
What happened? Did you have the 2nd implant with restor? I've postponed mine because I am afraid the same thing will happen to the otherfeye/ What did you do and how are you now?

If BMJ is no longer posting  ( a sign of success!) could someone with a similar experience reply/ Thank you