Eye Care Community
Retina: Is it really AMPEE?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Retina: Is it really AMPEE?

While on my honeymoon in June 2007, I started experiencing very distinct flashers in my left eye.  After examining me,  my ophthalmologist said that I had a retinal choroidal abnormality and sent me directly to a retina specialist in my area.  Fluorescein Angiography / Fundus Photography tests and vision field tests were run on me and I was then sent to have extensive lab work done to see if there was a virus of some kind in me.  The labs all came back negative, thus, eliminating any known cause for this disorder.  I was diagnosed with AMPEE (Acute multifocal placoid pigment epitheliopathy), put on prednisone for approx. 2.5 months and have been regualarly seeing my retina specialist with positive results as the growth seemed to have stopped, the flashers stopped, but the discoloration on my retina will always be there.  That updates you on the background.  Shortly after Christmas, I started seeing a new floater in my left eye.  Having reported this to the doctor, I went for an exam yesterday and the the large "dark blob" is another un-related growth on my retina.  It is not attached to the first, much larger, spot in any way.  My doctor seems to be somewhat concerned that perhaps it is not AMPEE afterall, but some type of disease that will continue to cause these growths on my retina and can lead to blindness.  That was not the news I wanted to hear!  He said that, although no one in my area is a specialist with these very rare cases, he would get with someone up north, who specializes with this disease that can lead to blindness (unfortunatley, I do not recall the name of this disease, but it is treated with some type of cancer drug to slow down the process), to review my case and give his opinion.  The reason he is suspicious of this is b/c he says that AMPEE typically does not have completely separate new growths that develop.  That the previous one can spread, but that there is usually an attachment to the previous growth spot.  That is not the case with me.  I return to the doctor in 2 weeks, but am concerned and would like to learn more sooner.  Unfortunately, there does not appear to be much information available with regards to AMPEE, so I try to absorb everything the doctor tells me.  Thanks for your input!
The information your provide does not allow me to comment on what alternative diagnosis is being considered.

JCH IIIMD
Thank you for your input.  I do, however, have fairly good medical insurance, which is covering the expense of my treatment, less, of course, my co-payments. If travel is involved, then that is a bridge I will have to cross, if and when the need arises.  For the time being, I do feel confident in my retina specialist and am grateful for his willingness to obtain a second opinion on my behalf.  

I will keep the information you provided for future reference.

Thanks!
have they found a treatment for AMPEE yet????
There is no specific treatment for AMPEE and it rarely requires any attempt to treat and rarely leaves any permanent damage to eye

JCH MD