Retina Detachent Concerns?
Had surgery(Insertion of scleral buckle - Retina Repair Job almost 4 yrs ago, but developed a build up of clear gel like substance on the right & top area/s of my eye some 3.5 yrs later. Developed red like veins on the corner of my eye. 2 mths ago underwent a procedure to remove this substance but few complications occurred resulting in the removal of the scleral buckle & corresponding stitches..... However the substance has come back & this may because there was one stitch left from original retina repair job. Have been to numerous appointments leading to many unanswered questions ..... Yesterday I lost my vision completely (Ie- Full Retina Detachment) I am now undergoing another procedure on Tuesday 72 hrs from time of vision loss but am unsure as to what to expect. Is the gel like substance actually a result of original stitches ? If so is there an alternative method to repair the retina or a combination of methods to be used? What is the likelyhood of this procedure being successful? Could it be possible that this gel like substance is actually the liquid that is in fact leaking from the vitreous itself??
Thanking you in advance for any information that may be useful to help my understanding of this medical issue ?
It is highly unlikely that that the substance you saw was vitreous gel. More likely it was a conjunctival cyst  that are very common after the type of surgery you had. They often look like water blisters or gel on the surface of the eye.  The only way that it could have been viteous is if you had what is called "intrusion" of the buckle into the eye. This is when the buckle "cheese wires" or cuts slowy over years into the eye. then the buckle has to be removed as it can literally cut the eye in half.

It may be as long as a year before you know how much vision comes back. It sounds like the macula is off and that is a bad prognostic sign.

Remember to take ultra good care of the other eye. Exam at least yearly with retina specialist and always with dilation.

Good luck.

JCH III MD