Retina Detachment
If the retina is completely detached can it be fixed and vision restored?
It depends overall 90-95% of retinas can be re-attached. However even with reattachment the vision does not return to normal especially if the macula or reading part is detached.

JCH III MD
Would it be less risky to do the scheleral buckle/vitrectonomy and save the vision or to not do anything, wait for it to detach and then do the surgery? I have not read too many good things about the  surgery and am reconsidering... PLEASE HELP!!
Surgery is always done early to try and keep the retina from detaching rather than waiting.

JCH MD
My father had surgery for a detached retina a week ago.  He is now having extreme pain in that side of his face and jaw.  Two days ago he said he had an ache on the top of his head.  What could be the reason for this?
That's not normal. Get on the phone immediately and call his surgeon.
]JCH MD
what about a patient whose diagnosis is ,'fixed, detached retina.' what is the emergency in this?  The term,'fixed' implies that the retina has been detached for some time.
I have been reading here to look for answers.. my son who is almost 5yr had full retina detachment. The surgery was done a week later of the detachment as the surgeon was out of town and he said since it is fully detached, there is no hurry to fix it right away.

My son got scleral buckle, vitrectomy with silicone oil done two weeks ago. One week post op appointment went well and doctor said it is all intact. We do not know much he can see from that eye as he is speech delayed. We are told not to let him sleep on his back with head straight until the oil is taken out.

We are just hoping and praying that the detachment stays and no scar tissue develops.
I had the scleral buckle in 2005 and by the time I had the surgery, I had no vision in my left eye. I was 35 at the time. I also had the gas bubbles, which I bet he also had since you said he is sleep on his back.  The healing really takes about 6 months.  The first two weeks, I stayed in bed and just let myself heal.  You need to make sure your son gets lots of rest and doesn't do much.  I should have stayed home longer,  but I am a teacher and I wanted to get back to my students.  Blurry vision remained for serval months.  I regained my vision to the level it was before the surgery, but it took time.  I recently was checked, and all is well with my left eye.
Thank you for your reply! You gave me hopes. Thank you again. Next Friday we have the doctor's appointment and hoping things still look good.

Thank you.,
You are welcome.  Let me know if you have more questions.
i just had surgery on my right eye, 3 weeks now. my Dr. told me i may never get vision back on my right eye. the dr. told me that the retina is cut and there are no means, or technology to re-attached. i am not feeling it thought, i am hearing all kinds of doctor's mirakele, but thy couldn't fix my eye. i am saddened, but hopefull one day i may gain my vision back. even thought she told me that may never. the confusion thing is that she some times call me and ask me if i have any vision? I don't know what to think.

think you.