Eye Care Expert Forum
Retina Disorder : Is it AMPEE or something else?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

In June 2007, I started experiencing very distinct flashers in my left eye.   My ophthalmologist said that I had a retinal choroidal abnormality/sent me directly to a retina specialist in my area.  Fluorescein Angiography / Fundus Photography tests and vision field tests were run on me and I was then sent to have extensive lab work done to see if there was a virus present.  The labs came back negative, eliminating a known cause for this disorder.  I was diagnosed with AMPEE (Acute multifocal placoid pigment epitheliopathy), put on prednisone for approx. 2.5 months and have been regualarly seeing my retina specialist w/ positive results as the initial growth and the flashers stopped, but the discoloration on my retina remains.  That updates you on the background.  Shortly after Christmas, I started seeing a new floater in my left eye.  Having reported this to the doctor, I went for an exam yesterday – I have another un-related growth on my retina.  It is not attached to the first spot.  My doctor seems to be concerned that perhaps it is not AMPEE, but some type of disease that will continue to cause these growths on my retina and can lead to blindness.  That was not the news I wanted to hear!  He said that, although no one in my area is a specialist with these issues, he would get with someone up north, who specializes with this disease (I do not recall the name of this disease, but it is treated with some type of cancer drug), to review my case.  The reason he is suspicious of this is b/c he says that AMPEE typically does not have completely separate new growths that develop.  That the previous one can spread, but that there is usually an attachment to the previous growth spot.  That is not the case with me.  I return to the doctor in 2 weeks, but am concerned and would like to learn more sooner.  Unfortunately, there does not appear to be much information available with regards to AMPEE, so I try to absorb everything the doctor tells me.  Thanks for your input!
Tags: retina, AMPEE
The information your provide does not allow me to comment on what alternative diagnosis is being considered.

JCH IIIMD
1 Comment
A related discussion, RE: Rental Disorder: Is it AMPEE was started.