Retina Surgery, Silicone Oil and Thyroid Uptake Scan
I now have silicone oil in one eye following a vitrectomy five weeks ago for a detached retina.
My thyroid doc has recommended a thyroid uptake scan for which I would be swallowing 4 capsules of a radioactive substance and he says this will not have a negative effect on my ill eye/retina/silicone.
My retina surgeon does not answer questions from patients and my primary care doc is on vacation.
Is my thyroid doc probably correct i.e., is it generally accepted fact or opinion that the radioactive substance would not interact negatively with my ill eye/retina/silicone?
So are you going to keep your retina surgeon, because he needs to answer this question.

His not taking questions is ridiculous. Or is he the only retinolgist in your city? Hes should have an assistant taking questions. Because if he is that busy, he is making a lot of money.
It is absurd and unprofessional not to take questions from a patient. You can put up with it or find a new surgeon.

JCH MD
I agree and am in the process of finding a new retina surgeon who does more than walk his doctors-in-training past me as he focuses on them, his priority.
Meanwhile, I would love your take on my original question about the safety of my having a thyroid uptake scan (requiring the swallowing of 4 capsules of radioactive substance) at a time that my retina is healing and I have silicone oil in my eye to hold the retina in place.
Thank you very much,
Segie
I hope you find a fine doctor. There seem to be quite a few nonprofessionals around, unfortunately.

Put your new question as a new post, to make sure the doctor sees it.
I doubt that the scan would have any effect on your retina but to be safe besides your surgeon ask the radiologist that supervises the scan.

JCH MD