Retina detachment and vision is compromised. please help!
My name is Kevin. I am writing on behalf of my dad. He is 60 years old.

He lost one eye 20 years ago due to failed catract and infection. Now he has artificial eye instead.
In his other eye, he went through retina detachment in Jan 2016. Doc fixed the eye with gas bubble and a buckle.
But the eye got detached again in couple months. There were 5 laser and cryo operated to fix it. Because his retina is very thin it kept on detaching.

Right now after 1.5 years his LOWER retina is still detached, there is fluid behind the retina causing it to rise little but there is a gel which is forcing the retina not to move. Doc has been examining him for past 9 months in this state and advised to leave it as is, as its only 1 eye. If the retina gets fully detached, then the fluid can be removed and treated. Macula is also swollen due to which he has low central vision.

Above all sometime last year, in trials to attach back the retina doctor removed the cataract lens that was placed 20 years back. Now he wears glasses, which helps him not more than 10%. He is extremely sensitive to light and goes blind for few hours if he is exposed to more intense sunlight.

What would you suggest us to do?
Does someone have experience of living with detached retina?
How long can retina stay detached?

Any advice, inputs are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
kevin
This is a truly desperate situation. there are really two questions: 1. what can be done/or should be done to the retina  2. what can be done to help him see better and be less bothered by the light.

The first is very difficult. You could of course see another retina surgeon for another opinion. With the RD being inferior gravity may help it remain localized to the bottom of the retina. Gravity would work against him if the RD and fluid were on the top. More surgery stands the risk of losing what he has vs. making him some better.  

The second is not to do surgery but try to help him function better.  You might ask his retina doctors to refer him to a "Low Visual Aid" clinic to see what high powered glasses, magnifiers and telescopes might help him function better. For the light sensitivity wearing a hat and wrap around sunglasses like worn after cataract surgery would be helpful. NOIR is a good company with a wide ranges of styles, colors and tints.
Thank you for your response.

Yes my dad has accepted that his vision is compromised.

His cataract lens is removed he doesn't have any lens in his eyes, could this be the reason why he is so light sensitive?
Can we suggest doctor to implant another lens instead to help from light?

Is there a chance the fluid beneath the removed would drain on its own?

Yes he always has hat and indoor/outdoor glasses for light.

Kind regards
Kevin
No another lens in the eye is not wise. Would need to be "aphakic" (no intraocular lens) glasses or contact lens.  Yes the fluid could go away by itself.
Is there a chance or hope his vision will ever be restored?

Or even down the line the light sensitivity could be reduced?

Are there any specific aphakic glasses you would recommend?
Considering his cornea is too thin i think glasses would be better option then lens.
Hope springs eternal and since things can get worse its only fair they can get better.  Aphakic glasses are really rare now. I don't know any brands to recommend.