Eye Care Expert Forum
Retina detachment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Retina detachment

Looking for some help here. My boyfriend was experiencing white flashes in his eye so visited his optician in which she sent him away (my understanding is you should visit them 1st as they have the equipment to carry out such checks) 1 week later he had the buckle operation in October 2011 in which it wasnt a success so he had 2 go in for a 2nd operation in which they removed the gel from his eye...Again unsuccessful...So he needed laser treatment! He has been going to monthly check ups at the hospital and they have advised that the operations were successful but for 1 he is still receiving white flashes in his eye...and some pain in it from time to time. My main concern is his sight has never came back....and was wondering if anyone has been in the same position?

I am curious as I will take this further if I feel that someone is liable for this?

Thanks for looking!
Actually Patsy summed that up very well. I can totally sympathize with your boyfriend's condition. I have seen this a number of times. Losing eyesight is devastating and depressing. Naturally we seek a way to recover the loss and sometimes people want to make other people liable. I don't advise that unless you truly feel someone is responsible for making your boyfriends retina detach. Venting your frustration online will help you to begin to cope with this loss. Best of luck.
I'm not a lawyer nor am I a physician and I don't know if anyone is liable.
I do know that retina detachment is a serious condition and people can and do lose their eyesight from it.  Retina specialist try their best to reattach the retina when it detaches.  Are all repairs a success NO.    
Hi i understand that not all operations are a success..but the operations that he had were q success...my frustration is in the last 4 month we have never been made aware that the sight could be lost! The surgeon keeps tellin us 'give it time' where as the specialist we seen at another hospital advised us that there is nothing more that they can do for his eye! I am not trying to put the blame onto anyone...but after reading online that if a retina is detached for more than a week the vision part of it can be lost all together...so my question to the ppl involved is...why wait near a week to operate if they were aware of this?