Retina hole (seeing sudden flashes of light)

2 weeks back while playing badminton shuttlecock hit in my right eye and 3 days after that I am seeing sudden flashes of light frequently. when checked with an eye specialist he told me like a small weak point/ hole formed in the outer edge of my retina which can be cured by a small laser correction. Photocoagulation is the process he mentioned. Even though doctor said its painless I heard from those who had it previously that it's a bit painful. Kindly let me know what i heard is correct or is there any other option for the same.
Is it not possible to numb my eye before doing the same ?

-Tony
Also please let me know the possible side effects after the laser correction. Currently i don't have any problems with my power and am not using any kind of glass.

-Tony
We have had a number of eye injuries from badmitton. From now on wear protective glasses for all racquet sports. The laser does not cure the hole it seals it shut. It is generally not painful or minimal pain; varies from patient to patient and procedure to procedure. As to the risks and benefits you will need to discuss with your surgeon.

JCH MD