Eye Care Expert Forum
Retinal Detachment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Retinal Detachment

Hi all. I just got back from s Retinal Specialist by the name of Dr. Alexander Aizman and was told that I have a full retinal detachment. He urged that I get surgery done as soon as Friday and mentioned the procedure where a band is placed that acts like a belt. I am very concerned since I am just 20 years old and this seems like a very severe procedure. I would like to know if Dr. Alexander Aizman is a good doctor to do the surgery (is he well-known in the retinal opthalmology community)? Should I proceed with this surgery? Are there any common complications that may occur after this procedure? Thank you all very much for your time and hope that some of my concerns can be alleviated.

I live in the Brooklyn, NY area
I cannot comment on the credentials of Dr. Aizman, but based on the degree of retinal detachment, a scleral buckle (what you are describing) is within the standard of care for treatment.  Definitely the longer you wait, there is a chance the visual prognosis may not be as good, so if you need a second opinion, there are definitely several academic institutions in your area as well (NY eye and ear, columbia, cornell), but I wouldn't hesitate very long since this is very much an urgent situation that requires surgery.