Eye Care Community
Retinal Detachment Recovery and Flying?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Retinal Detachment Recovery and Flying?

Hi. I am actually writing on behlaf of my father who is 63 and had retinal detachment surgery on his left eye one month and a week ago. His vision is recovering. He went back to work (he is a pediatrician in a hectic office) about a week and a half ago. We live in New York, and before his surgery my dad has been accustomed to traveling to California for conferences and to see his mother about every month or two. His doctor tells him he is okay to travel at this point. The gas bubble is gone. My dad still gets headaches when he uses the computer. I am worried that if he starts to travel as he used to he will be putting both this recovering eye as well as his other eye in danger. He already has a stressful, busy job. Isnt the pressure on an airplane and the stress of traveling often with little sleep a bad idea? I was wondering if other people recovering from this surgery travel often and what they think of it. Personally I am inclined to think that he should rest as much as possible for a few months atleast, with as little traveling as possible. But I am not a doctor and I have not experienced this surgery. I would greatly appreciate your ideas. Thanks!
Hi  I had the gas bubble for 2 months and was infomred that once the bubble had gone flying would not be a problem. I went on 5 different flights from the Uk to India and back recently and had no problems.  Hope this helps
Thanks I was wondering about that too.  I am suppose to go to Africa about 3 months post gas bubble surgery.

Sharon
If you have been cleared to fly by your doctor, I wouldn't worry too much. I flew about 4 weeks after my first retina surgery several years ago, and I will be flying in a month to India (about 8 weeks post surgery this time).

Of course your father should be careful and avoid stress, but its not going to damage the eye or the surgery. Realistically the thing to be careful about is banging your head around -- causing the retina to detach again -- but that really should be a thought all the time, not just after surgery.