Eye Care Community
Retinal Detachment Recovery and Flying?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Retinal Detachment Recovery and Flying?

Hi. I am actually writing on behlaf of my father who is 63 and had retinal detachment surgery on his left eye one month and a week ago. His vision is recovering. He went back to work (he is a pediatrician in a hectic office) about a week and a half ago. We live in New York, and before his surgery my dad has been accustomed to traveling to California for conferences and to see his mother about every month or two. His doctor tells him he is okay to travel at this point. The gas bubble is gone. My dad still gets headaches when he uses the computer. I am worried that if he starts to travel as he used to he will be putting both this recovering eye as well as his other eye in danger. He already has a stressful, busy job. Isnt the pressure on an airplane and the stress of traveling often with little sleep a bad idea? I was wondering if other people recovering from this surgery travel often and what they think of it. Personally I am inclined to think that he should rest as much as possible for a few months atleast, with as little traveling as possible. But I am not a doctor and I have not experienced this surgery. I would greatly appreciate your ideas. Thanks!