Eye Care Expert Forum
Retinal Detachment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Retinal Detachment
Hello forums,

I am a 23 year old male. 2 days ago I experienced a bright light about the size of a light bulb pass my peripheral vision twice in about a 3 hour timespan. They each lasted about a second. Since then It feels like there is a very subtle "film" of static over my vision and its hard to focus on things. My eyes feel heavy and slightly itchy like I am having allergies. When i google searched these symptoms it came up with Retinal Detachment and now I am really scared.

There are a few things i want to get cleared up about the symptoms of RD. Are the flashes of light that are mentioned happen constantly when you have RD? Is this "film static" sympton the same as the "curtain" symptom?

Do I need to go to the ER?
Your symptoms are consistant with the Jelly pulling on the retina as psuoh states.  You should go see an ophthalmologist within 24 hours if possible.

HV
Hospitals don't consider it an emergency if you don't have the "black curtains" in the corner of your eye. If you do go ER, they refer you to go to your eye doctor.  That was my experience for me.

You see flashes if the vitreous gel pulls on your retina.   You see dark black smoke like images like a smoke bomb if there is bleeding...  In any case you should closely monitored by retina specialist..