Eye Care Community
Retinal Hole

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Retinal Hole

I had LASIK surgery March of 2007. About 2 weeks ago I had floaters only with headaches, so I took it to be ocular migraines.  Wednesday, I noticed them on my son's face but they werent black. Thursday when I went into work, I had my cowoker do an Optos and was dilated that afternoon which retinal edema was found.  Friday a retinal specialist found a tiny retinal hole and lasered it with the argon.  Monday I go for a followup.  
My question is do you think my LASIK surgery caused it, and if not, could you possibly tell me what caused it.?  Before LASIK surgery I was a -4.75.  My personal opinion is that it was mere coincidental because if it would have caused it, I would have had this in March or April, and not 3 months down the road.  
Also, since I've got one hole, am I at risk for more holes in the future???  What causes retinal edema?
Please tell me what you think.
As many as 10% of eyes have small holes in the retina. Note the hole doesn't go through the eye only one the retinal layers. All retinal holes do not need to be treated. Small round holes without vitreous detachment, especially if on the bottom half of the eye are often untreated. Large holes with vitreous traction and those with fluid around them or above the macula are often treated with laser or cryo- therapy (freezing) to create scars to seal the hole shut.

Retinal holes are more common as we grow older and in increase in number with increasingly severe myopia or near-sightedness.

Most studies indicate LASIK does not cause retinal holes, it's more likely due to the myopia you were trying to correct with LASIK.

You are at a higher risck of more retinal holes. Have your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist (EyeMD) yearly and see he/she immediately if you have a sudden increase of floaters, flashes of light like lightening and any loss of peripheral vision.

Retinal tears and retinal holes are often surrounded with sub-retinal fluid. In doctor talk sub-retinal fluid due to a tear and sub-retinal fluid due to something like cystoid macular edema are totaly different deals. You will need to clarify this with your ophthalmologist.

JCH MD
Today i went for a lasik workup.i.e the tests they use to dtermine that whether you are eligible for lasik or not.
During the retina check up they found few retinal holes although the doc said that they are very minor and are normally found in people with myopia.My power is -1.75 in both eyes.
So before lasik they advised me for a laser treatment for holes so that the surgery remains safe.
They conducted the laser .although it was over in few minutes and after that i am having some pain over the eyelids.
But i dont know that whether i shuld have gone for it or did i made a wrong decision.
My questions are actually
1)Are these minor holes common with people with specs and that too with my kind of small power
2)Is it advisable to go for hole treatment before lasik
3)Any side effects of the laser treatment of holes

Please advise ..
My questions are actually

Please advise ..