Eye Care Community
Retinal detachment surgery recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Retinal detachment surgery recovery

Hi, I am a 51 yr old female, and have been nearsighted all my life. Just 4 days ago, I was diagnosed with retinal detachment in both eyes, and had emergency surgery. The left eye wasnt bad, they did an indirect laser on it. The right eye however, had a large tear and much fluid had gone behind it. On the right eye they did the schleral buckle, laser, the gas bubble and drained 75% of the eye fluid. I guess my biggest concern is that I am a mail delivery person and run rural routes on roads with big pot holes and lots of dust and gravel. I also have to be able to see very well to put the mail in the right place, and see the road very well because you have to drive quickly and efficiently. You also have to be able to lift 70 lbs. Now my retinal specialists is saying I can return to work within a week or two, no pun intended, but I dont see it. I am still on pain meds, and vision isnt good. the gas bubble isnt supposed to dissipate according to doctors for 2-2 1/2 months. Is this back to work in 2 weeks a good idea?  Thanks for any responses.
This information MUST come from your surgeon and no one else. You can use the search feature a reaad about recovery from your type of surgery.

JCH MD
Hi, I am 49 years old, female, and had a retinal detachment (no symptoms just found on a routine eye exam on 4/10/2009) in just my right eye, my symptoms and treatments sound similar to your right eye.  I had sclera buckle surgery on 4/13/2009, they placed one gas bubble in my eye then and another 3 days later because there was a lot of fluid collecting in my eye.  I have also had 8 laser surgeries to repair small tears and also to try and strengthen the retina because the fluid was making it very susceptible to re detachment.  The gas bubble in my eye didn't go away for 9 weeks and was pretty large right up till the end.  I use my eyes for working - I am at a computer all day - that is all I do - and I wasn't allowed back to work for 3 1/2 weeks ( I couldn't read or use the computer for most of that time either) .  Even now almost 3 months later my vision in my right eye is still not good and no where near my pre detachment vision. But I still have great vision in my left eye so I have survived by keeping my right eye closed when I drive and when I work.  I am told my vision will get better and eventually be as good as before the detachment and I do trust my doctor so I can only hope this is true.  I am sure every case is different, however, I only had surgery on the one eye and there was no way my doctor was letting me go back to work sooner than 3 1/2 weeks.  My biggest problem was that the fluid wasn't going away so I had to keep laying on my right side at first all the time then gradually over the 3 1/2 weeks I could get up for longer periods.  My doctor now says that following his instructions so exactly saved me from having my retina re detach.  I only have my experience to offer but I know its often helpful to know what other's have experienced as a point of reference, especially if you are like me and this thing came at you out of nowhere!  I wish you well in your recovery, keep us posted.
-
Thank you for the notes. And, yes, this hit me out of nowhere! We were going to see a movie, since my hubby was on vacation and going there I saw a clear "bubble" in my peripheal on the right side. I knew something was wierd, but didnt take it as an emergency. We came back from the movie and the "bubble" was starting to get dark looking, so when we got home I called the eye doc. Had to do surgery next day. I also forgot to mention that they also did a "corneal abbrasion" on the right eye. My vision requirements for the job may make the dr. take a second look. It must be 20/40 in good eye and no worse than 20/100 in the other. I think the dr is expecting me to do my job with one eye, and they wont allow it anyway. I just dont want any complications. I dont know how long there is a chance of infection, but I will get dust and dirt in both eyes while doing my job. I also have to drive with windows down and rain pouring in my face.  I am going crazy not being able to shower. Sure hope I can at least do that soon!  Thank you for your response
-
Hi I am also a 51 yr old female, sounds like you and I have been diagonesed with the same thing, my surgery on my right eye will be on July 21/09.  They are going to do the buckle, a gel,  and injection of gas, have to recoup with my head down for 3 weeks, I've heard this is really painful, how was you experience.