Eye Care Community
Retinal fold after sceral buckle surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Had retinal buckle surgery on 11 Nov, saw my surgeon 30 Nov, he said the retina reattached just fine, however he said more surgery to try and correct, may make it worse. My vision is blurry, and distorted, everything looks bent to the left. My questions are, is their a possibility the retina may flatten out on its own, after time, or will my brain compensate for this, and straighten out the vision, Thanks for any response
Tags: buckle
Retina detachments and the surgery to correct is very unique and individualistic. Generalizations are not possible. It depends a lot on whether the reading part of the eye (macula) was detached or not. You should ask this of your surgeon. If the macula was "on" the prognosis is very good however if the macula was "off" then some distortion of the vision is often permanent. The healing time RD surgery is long 6-12 months to know the final result.

Again ask if your macula was on or off before surgery.
JCH MD
Macula on,  so, do you think the brain may compensate for the distrtion, My Eye Doc says mmmaybe, also i read were someones retina, which had a fold in it flatten out after a year, have you ever seen these things happen? Just need a second opinion, Thank You very much for your response, this ordeal has been very hard on me
For a recovery period of 6-12 months you have just started. Macula on is good; doesn't guarentee you will not have distorted vision (metamorphopsia) but reduces chances.  These are excurciatingly difficult procedures. Use the search feature and archives and read the many posts about RD surgery it will help you and you'll know you're not alone.

If a second opinion will make you feel better fine but understand your surgeon can't tell you whether you will make a full recovery or not.  Only time will tell.

JCH MD
Sorry Doctor, forget to add that retina reattached with a fold in it, that's why vision distorted.
Sometimes the folds settle and some times they don't.  Good luck.
JCH MD
You have given me hope, thanks!
Hope springs eternal.
JCH MD
I'm actually driving, play OK Golf, and Texas Holdem, all with one eye, not going to let this slow me down, only worry is the weak retina on left eye, that they heat lasered last week, to preclude any tears, or detachments, that one better hold up. Can you recommend any eye supplements?
Go  back to the eye forum page and read the feature article I wrote on macular degeneration prevention.
JCH MD
Thanks, looks like I have been taking those supplements for years now, now I need to cut down on red meat, and eat more fresh veggies, and fruits. I have heard that carrots are good also?
carrots are good spinage. greens, kale   better.
Is it normal for my eye to still be dilated after discontinuing the dilating drops one week ago? Also the eye is watering some which is clouding vision in the lower part of eye, yesterday was the last day of using steroid drops.
My DR surgery was on 11 Nov.
Trebor45 this is not a substitute for questions your Eye MD should be answering. Call the office. I am signing off this post.
JCH MD
Ok, shortly after this post i Had a curtain coming down my eye, I knew right away the retina detached again, went to my Doc next day, and he set up a 2nd surgery, had that surgery on 12 Dec, it went well, the fold was gone after the detachment, which was what i was hoping for, he also took the lens out, because gas in 1st surgery caused cataract, right now it is so blurry, I couldnt even read the big E on chart, but could tell how many fingers tech was holding up, plus distortion is gone now. This time he went with the silicone oil, which comes out in another operation in two months, three months after that I get my new lens.  Two questions for you are, how much does the oil affect vision, and without having a lens in my eye, is it normal for my eye to be this blurry? Thanks for your response, as I am so tired of this, I was going to get an eye exam to see if i could get some temp glasses to keep me from going nuts!
Your opinions are most welcome, and helpful
any one of you Drs going to reply? Maybe your doing more research, thanks
This is very "taxing" surgery. It goes on for what seems like forever, often requires multiple surgeries and quite often improves the vision but not make it anywhere near normal.  Yes oil in the eye really messes up the vision. Use search feature and archives and read about silicone oil in eye. Not sure glasses will help much.
JCH MD
I know everyone is different and the body handles every surgery differently.I just want you to know that I had my first surgery in march 2011 and my third surgery Nov. 2011 I am praying that this time my retina stays attached so far it is looking good. My biggest problem, besides not seeing, is the terrible pain that I have been in since the second surgery in july and just now got the doctor to order eye drops for inflamation (inflammation) I think they are helping but I was always told that I should not be having that pain and I would tell my doctor I know you keep telling me I should not be having pain in my eye but I am why and I guess the pain was getting to so bad that it was showing on my face this last time I seen him because he walked in the room and said you look like you are in terrible pain and that is when he order me two different eye drops. Just keep asking your doctor over and over until he understands all your questions.

good luck and my prayers are with you  
I wish you Good Luck my pain has finally diminished after 6 weeks, oil still makes it impossible to read anything, but I'm finally getting used to it, had to beat back some depression last week. See the Doc for follow up this Wednesday, and get the oil removed march 12th. I take it you have the oil in eye also? Did they use oil for the 2nd surgery? And if so, how was the surgery to drain it?