Retinal hole
I am a 26 year old male who was diagnosed with senile retinoschisis about 4 years ago. My eyes have been stable since the diagnosis but I had my yearly check up today and the retina specialist said he "thinks" I have a peripheral retinal hole. He could not get the best look at it but was confident it was not leaking fluid and said it appeared flat. He said he wanted to see me back in six months and said dont lose sleep over it. Well I'm a little worried because he said it could cause retinal detachment. My question is should I get a second opinion or is it really not as serious as I think it is. He mentioned laser treatment or freezing to close the hole and if this is needed which option is better. Also, are there any vitamins to take to increase retina health to maybe put the breaks on developing future holes. Thanks so much in advance for any replies. I just want to be sure I'm doing the most I can to prevent damaging my vision.
I personally have peripheral retinoschisis and have had it for over 30 years. No treatment has been necessary and it has not extended. If you have confidence in your Eye MD ophthalmolgist and he/she is a retina specialist there likely is no reason to worry as you were told. An increased risk of retinal detachment is only present when there is a hole in the outer layer of the retina AND the inner layer. (recall the word retinoschisis means "splitting of the retina")

There are no dietary changes that help retinoschisis. I would suggest avoiding amusement type rides that violently jerk the head around. You can read the article I wrote on this page about preventing macular degeneration, diet does help that a lot.  Should treatment of your problem be necessary both laser and cryo are helpful.

Most cases of schisis require no treatment.

JCH MD
Thanks for the insight. I have been on roller coasters since diagnosis but will definitely avoid them in the future. While I have your attention, are there any other activities aside from the obvious I should avoid? For example, running, weight lifting, playing basketball etc.? My schisis has not progressed much if any since it was first found four years ago and I am thankful for that. As for the retinal hole, mine is not in the macula (as you know) it's actually in the schisis layers but my doctor said he "thinks" its only in the external layer. Are there any specific tests other than observation which can confirm his hypothesis? Lastly, will the diet plan/supplements that help prevent macular holes also help with peripheral holes? My intuition says yes but that is not always correct.

Where exactly can I locate the literature you referenced above?

I hope this is not too long. You're very kind to help everyone here and I truly appreciate the service you and the other professionals provide.

Take care,

GM
1 I advise patients and myself to avoid activities that jerk the head around violently.  So most "thrill" rides are out. Also contact sports like full contact football, rugby, hockey, etc.  
2. The most exact test at this moment is a skilled retinal ophthalmologist looking at your eye with an indirect ophthalmoscope & Scleral depressor and/or using a wide field cornea contact lens.
3. There is no diet that will prevent RS or macular holes.
4. If you want to live health for other eye diseases such as age related macular degeneration look at the top of the home page (default page or click on back to community if you're reading all posts. Read the article I wrote on macular degeneration prevention. If you can't see it click on the other small blue dot at upper left corner above the ribbon with feature articles.
5. Thanks for your comments. The American Academy of Ophthalmology is pleased to sponor this free world-wide service. Most posters are thankful and appreciative. A disturbingly percent have an overblown sense of entitlement. The Eye Forums are the ONLY forum in the 300+ where the expert physicians provide more than one answer.

JCH MD
Thank you for your time. I now have a better understanding of how retinal holes must be present in both layers to detach. Furthermore, I am aware of activities which I must avoid to prevent such detachments.  You have been a great help and I will most certainly read your article on macular degeneration should I be unfortunate enough to develop the condition later in life. Thanks again and I wish you the best!

GM
=