Aa
A
A
Close
Retinal tear possibility from back of f head banging against car doorframe
My age is 34 and I am a software developer. 10 years back I had a minor eye laser done to seal weak spots in the retina. My eyesight is -0.75 (right) and -2.75(left). I have had eye flashes and floaters for past 2 years. Couple of months back, during a routine eye examination, the doctor said there is a minor horse shoe tear in the left eye and he sealed it with laser. I just had dilated eye examination done few days back and everything was normal.
Today, while pulling my head out of the rear seat of the car, my head banged with mild force against doorframe.
My eyesight is normal, but I am so scared it might have caused a tear or vitreous detachment. Could my vitreous pull from retina and make it weak as retina is attached to eye ball only at few places. I am scared to death and just cannot come out of it.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
177275 tn?1511758844
The adhesions that the laser makes to seal a horseshoe tear take about 4-6 weeks to be fully as strong as they get so they would be fully healed. Moreover over time the vitreous shifts and peels off the retina (PVD or posterior vitreous detachment) so over time less and less vitreous touches the retina and the risk of RD goes down. If the retina tears or detaches there are often symptoms: flashes of light like lightening, increase of floaters which are light hundreds of black dots or soot and loss of peripheral vision. Since you describe none the risk are minimal and very very small. Anytime you have those symptoms you should see your surgeon. You will bang your head again, we all do, these are good guidelines.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Thank you Sir for your reply. Much appreciated. It has been 60 days since the horseshoe laser was done. So owing to my myopia is there no possibility that the vitreous might have pulled and weakened the retina due to the head bang ? I still have normal flashes ( once or twice a week ) but I can see no change in my eyesight or any specific symptom after head bang. Do you think I should have the retina checked ?
Comment
Cancel
177275 tn?1511758844
While patients like to make doctors say "definitely yes or definitely no" medicine and life isn't that way. I cannot say "no" possibility just very tiny risk and its up to you about going in to your ophthalmologist
Comment
Cancel
Thank you Sir for the help and advice. Just one last question. So, I can go about doing my normal activities like running, lifting light weights, badminton etc? And if I do bang my head unknowingly again, the possibility of vitreous pulling and tearing retina would be 1-2 % or even less ?
Comment
Cancel
177275 tn?1511758844
Much less than 1% and those activities are generally okay. Wear eye protection for badminton
Comment
Cancel
Thanks Sir, I am very grateful.
Comment
Cancel
177275 tn?1511758844
=
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
177275 tn?1511758844
=
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.
Eye Care Community Resources
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Blank
Kansas City, MO
Blank
Grand Prairie, TX
Blank
San Diego, CA