Eye Care Community
Retinal tear recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Retinal tear recovery

I am a 31 year old female with very high myopia. Last week I went in for my yearly eye examination and my optometrist referred me to a retina specialist after he discovered a tear in my retina. I just had laser eye surgery yesterday to correct a tear I had in my retina. The tear was on my upper left eye. My question is how long will recovery be for laser eye surgery to repair retinal tears? My vision in my left eye is very blurry. My eye can't focus with my contact lenses. Will I be able to recover my normal vision? Thank you for your help.
I usually do not treat asymptomatic tears.  The complications are more than the natural course of the tear.  Acute retinal tears usually lead to a retinal detachment within 1 to 3 months.  The complications of treatment include macular pucker and retinal detachment.  USUALLY, the vision is not affected with treatment.  Your vision is probably blurred due to the dilation. See your surgeon if vision does not improve by 48 hours.

Dr. O.