Eye Care Community
Return of episcleritis Scleritis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Return of episcleritis Scleritis

Dec 22 2008 red eye and eye MD treated me for episclertis and scleritis.Predison pill and drops to reduce eye pressure.I went from 5 prednisone down to 1/2 a prednisone.
My eye was clear for 2 weeks and reinflamed on saturday now back to 4 predinison.The eye got sore after in a home with dogs for 3 days visiting family.Red eye showed up the next day after I got home
Is it normal for the scleritis to come back so soon?
Can alergy (allergy) cause the Scleritis to come back.
How long can I take Prednisone I have been on it since January 2009.
Nin77ca
Scleritis as opposed to episcleritis is relative rare and may be serious.  Be sure you have the former and not the latter, again they are not the same.

I suggest you ask your eye MD to refer you to a rheumatologist to see if you have systemic disease causing this. Long term prednisone can have may side effects some quite serious.

JCH MD
My eyes are so sensitive.The right eye is fine because of the use of pill Prednisone.Today woke up with pink eye in the left eye.Eye surgeon saw me right away.Used the perscribed drops and the pink was gone instantly.Apo-Ofloxacin drops,Combigan drops and Maxidex drops which one cleared the eye instantly?Hope this was not pink eye.Does this sound like pink eye in the lefteye?
Confused Patient.Nin77ca
Hard to tell since one of the drops is a steroid, one an antibiotic and one for glaucoma. You should clarify from your eye MD.

JCH MD
You had recommended seeing a rheumatologist and I have an appointment for April 30 2009.Hope to find out if I have an auto immue problem or Systemic disease.Pink eye went away after using the Combigan.The eye has a little discharge along with a sinus cold.I am worried that my right eye that has the episcleritis will get pink eye.That would be hell for me.Since the episcleritis is not bothering me.What are the side afffects for using Prednisone pills for 4 months?Nin77ca
The side effects of steroids will be listed on the information you got from the phamacist.

JCH MD
Well red eye (scleritis) was clear in right eye after 20 days.Prednisone is down to 1/2 pill a day.Monday I got pink eye in the left eye,Dr treated pink eye and gone but still using drops until see eye DR today.Today the scleritis is back in the right eye,dam.Not sure what to do.Should I go back up on my prednisone?This is the only way to get rid of scleritis.Now right eye is red,sore and swelled I am using Glacoma drops for the eye pressure.Tried to finish the prednisone 3 times and as soon as I get down to the point of finishing the prednisone I have to go back up to 4 prednisone to clear the scleritis.Hope to have red eye under control with out upping the prednisone.Do you know of any natural path remedies.