Eye Care Community
Riding bike after RD surgery and RT repair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi, my question is, when riding a bike, and there are some bumps on the road, I feel that my head is going little up and down... can that affect my eyes, cause another detachment, tear or something? My surgeon told me that I can ride a bike, but when I tried, I felt my head is going different ways... not much, but little...

Last surgery was more than 6 months ago, and laser repair for other eye for retinal tear was 8. months ago...

I already asked this question once, but didn't get answer... hope this time I will.

Kind regards and best wishes from Croatia.

Robert
Several survey's of retina surgeons show that after recovery from RD surgery most surgeons allow their patients to return to running, walking, swimming.  I have done several 100 mile and 100 K bike rides. I love it and love bicyclists; however it is a dangerous sport even if you're careful. I stopped riding after a reasonably bad bike crash and my daughter stopped after she was hit be a car that turned into her. Mountain biking is associated with a lot of falls. I do all my bike riding in spinning classes or an exercise bicycle.

Most surgeons want you avoid sports like boxing, wrestlying, insiste on eye protection for racquet sports, avoid violent head whipping like roller coasters, amusement type rides.

Remember most retinal detachments are NOT due to trauma but due the vitreous pulling on the retina, or thinned areas of the retina from high myopia, lattice or post cataract surgery.

JCH MD
So here's your answer:  your surgeon said it was okay so go bike riding, wear a helmet and ride responsibly.

JCH MD
Thanks for your answer, today I bought a helmet. My main concern was those bumps on the road, where head is goind up and down... But if you haven't said that that could be a problem, I guess it isn't then.
I'm sorry for asking too much questions, I hope you understand that this is a new experience for me, after living normal life without any restrictions, and then at the age of 26, STOP, take it very easy! :)

Once again, best wishes

Robert

JCH MD
Now that is the answer I was looking for, thanks doc :))

Robert
You're welcome. The American Academy of Ophthalmology has provided over 36,0000 answers to people posting here and last year there were over 4 million visits. AAO is pleased to be of service to the internet commmunity worldwide.

JCH MD
Dear John
I write you as I can see here on the forum that you are a true fellow cyclist fan and hope you can help me with my cycling related eye problem.
In 2010 I had a IntraLasik eye correction done for -2,5 short-shightness as I was tired of flying contact lenses.
Operation went well & I've been very happy f=with the result in general, however I've one problem unsolved:
after 3hrs+ bike rides my vision get's slightly blurry escalating over time as eye dries out, making longer endurance marathons and 24hr solo MTB competitions a impossible mission.
The clinic who made the operation told me to stop riding so long or use a full ski mask like goggles: none of these solutions works in practice...
Another eye expert prescribed me some "sugar" drops that helps my eyes up to 3-3,5hrs but then losses effect, even if eyes dropped every 1,5hr....
I always ride with full glasses day/night and never had these problems before my operation.....what can I do to be able to ride long endurance competitions again?
Thanks a lot in advance for any tips
All best
*Michael*
PS - when I ride in-door cycling and push hard on a interval session or similar my eyes go very red....but this has been ongoing for years also before operation.
Two important issues:
1. Your problem is obviously linked to dry eyes and the stress caused by air moving across the cornea and drying it when you bike for long periods of time.  On this page is "Today's Pulse"  there is an article on dry eye. You may need to go on restasis or you may need to ride in a full face shield like the hockey players wear.
2. There is ample recent evidence that maximum endurance exercise lasting over a hour done over a period of years can damage the heart. It has mine (marathon, 100 mile bike riding, Iron man triathalons). Going "all out" for over an hour, especially for anyone past 40, is potentially damaging to the heart. Read this article on MedHelp (I wrote part of it):  http://www.medhelp.org/heart-disease/articles/Can-Excessive-Endurance-Exercise-Damage-Your-Heart/423

It can be found on the Heart Disease forums by scrolling through the papers there.

JCH MD