Eye Care Expert Forum
Rings of light...

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Rings of light...

I am a 53 yr. old female and have cataracts removed from both eyes.  The right six years ago and the left, 3 years ago.  I have two questions:  first, I know many, many people who have had cataracts removed and I have never noticed any physical changes after their surgeries.  However, if I'm facing someone and the light behind them shines into my eyes, they suddenly stop mid-sentence and with mouths wide open, stare at me like they're looking at a robot!!  Apparently, my eyes are reflecting the light similar to a deer or a dog in the headlights!  I asked my surgeon about it and he smiled and said, sometimes that happens and dismissed it.  Well as I said, I've known many people who have had these surgeries and I've never seen this happen to them.  When I shine a flashlight in the mirror, into my eyes, I see what they see.  It's not pretty!!!  Especially when my job is interviewing clients under bright lights in front of a camera!  I feel the need to explain to everyone so they won't be freaked out by what they see.  Why is this happening and could I have new lenses that won't reflect light as these do?  
And my second question:  Earlier today, I've noticed a circular ring of light around the peripheral of my left eye. Whenever I move my eye to the left, right, up, or down, it's like someone is making circular motions around my eye with a laser pen light.  Any ideas?  Thank you for taking the time.
Tags: ring, light, eyes, surgery, cataracts, new lenses, deer in the headlights, light reflection, peripheral light
Sometimes acrylic intraocular lens implants will reflect light and give that reflex in the center of the pupil.  In order to exchange the implant for another one, an intraocular surgery must be done, and this carries some significant risk, especially since your surgeries were some years ago.  The symptoms in your left eye could indicate a vitreous detachment, which can result in a retinal tear in about 10% of cases.  I would see your ophthalmologist for a dilated exam.