Eye Care Expert Forum
SCAR ON THE RETINA

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

SCAR ON THE RETINA

I have had a scar on my retina for 38yrs now and the doctors threw the years I have been going to told me there is no surgery to remove scar on the retina and I lately been searching things online about it and I see things about people getting scars removed on there retina so I am confused why I would be told and I see that people are getting it done. can anybody help me with this question
It all depends on where the scar is.  Surface scar tissue can be removed with a procedure called vitrectomy.  If the scar is under the retina and in the center (macula), then removal will not improve the vision.  I would see an ophthalmologist who is a retina specialist for an evaluation.